Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14 Favorites Widget: How to Make a Replacement With Shortcuts

Joexg

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
I think we may have been talking at cross purposes. My original question was regarding the stock Shortcuts app, not your WidgetPack (which I haven't tried).

I have already made my own widget that that allows me to choose from a list of options (phone, text, FaceTime, location etc) and it works great.

Have a good day.
Oh, I see. Well at least its not my shortcut! If you change your mind, my shortcut creates a beautiful widget that shows the contact photo and first name of your contacts, just like the old one did, only in iOS 14 style. :)

Comment

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I pick up my iPhone and hold the power button and say "Ha Siri, call John or message John. Why do I need widgets for this? Serious question.

Comment

Joexg

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
I pick up my iPhone and hold the power button and say "Ha Siri, call John or message John. Why do I need widgets for this? Serious question.
Well of course you don’t need them, but people prefer to use their devices in different ways, and its nice to have options.

Reactions: Raist3001
Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
Perhaps it’s because two different contacts (with different mobile numbers) share the same landline number.

I’ll use the following as a workaround:
View attachment 961729
How did you access this “phone number” input? I can’t get past Shortcuts asking for a contact and then automatically using one of the phone numbers for that contact without letting me specify.

EDIT: I figured out a workaround. You can get an input using a calculator variable and just paste the number in. This is all an incredible amount of fiddly work to replace that missing favorites widget.

9DC377C3-13FF-4132-9D08-595BCDB4829B.jpeg

Last edited:
Comment

Spacetime Anomaly

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Way out in space
How did you access this “phone number” input? I can’t get past Shortcuts asking for a contact and then automatically using one of the phone numbers for that contact without letting me specify.

Search ‘phone’ in the widgets search box or look under Apps>Contacts for the 'Phone Number' action.

I've now added a list so I can choose multiple contact options from a single popup:

IMG_0655.jpg

Result:

IMG_0656.jpg

Last edited:
Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
Search ‘phone’ in the widgets search box or look under Apps>Contacts for the 'Phone Number' action.

I've now added a list so I can choose multiple contact options from a single popup:

View attachment 962785

Result:

View attachment 962786
Thanks, I figured that out later.

My weird workaround also works, just using the Calculator as input if you paste in the correct number.

Reactions: Spacetime Anomaly
Comment

jwdsail

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2004
I can't believe that there isn't a way to create a widget that just pulls the info directly from the Favorites you have saved in the Phone app, so that it updates automatically if you make a change in the Favorites in the Phone app? Maybe with the scripting? Weird?

Reactions: Raist3001
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.