Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS 14 Widgets Offer iPhone Users Creative Home Screen Ideas

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I tried widgets & nope. Always look tacky.

I do wish there was a way to get rid of the huge gaps.

Comment

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
iPhone forums will now look like Android forums for the past 10 years... ;)

But without the "Now my phone is losing power quickly/randomly restarting/crashing every app" follow-ups. :D

And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience with Android.

Comment

mjaco002

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
It does for me. You have to launch the app at least once after software update w/ widget support for it to appear in the widget list. And be on iOS 14, of course.
I did...Do I have to enable something in the settings? I have iPhone X running iOS 14.

The only widgets that I can see are from apple ones plus Apollo

Last edited:
Comment

damphoose

macrumors regular
May 12, 2014
I tried this and hated it. Personally don’t know why people would want to do this, as it slows down the app launch speed?
As much as I like using unique icons in Mac OS this is definitely style over substance. App launch speed is one of the key reasons I update to the latest phone. I can’t imagine wanting to slow that down by what seems like a full 2 seconds ever time just to have better looking icons.
If eventually someone comes up with a way to do this without the extra step and non jailbreak then I am in.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is probably the best thing ever!
If you like spending hours and hours creating icons and backgrounds for your phone, which have to relay to the shortcuts app before the app will open.

It may look cute but it is a waste of time and chews up battery unnecessarily. This kind of thing is for teens and school kids with nothing better to do, than screw around with their phone screen all day and post on Twitter.

Comment

dcdandan

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
I tried this and hated it. Personally don’t know why people would want to do this, as it slows down the app launch speed? First opening the shortcut app before opening the app you need 🤔 unless I done something wrong?
[automerge]1600667619[/automerge]

They’ll probably remove the feature in the next update 😂
well there are ppl who watch kardashian show so ..

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If you like spending hours and hours creating icons and backgrounds for your phone, which have to relay to the shortcuts app before the app will open.

It may look cute but it is a waste of time and chews up battery unnecessarily. This kind of thing is for teens and school kids with nothing better to do, than screw around with their phone screen all day and post on Twitter.

I have actually toyed with the idea of having an all-shortcuts Home Screen, but simply haven’t had the time to sit down and make it work.

The premise is that instead of having shortcuts launch a single app, it can launch actions, or serve as a repository of apps and actions. For example, instead of opening the scanner pro app, I could have a shortcut that lets you choose from a couple of camera-related functions, such as opening scanner pro directly in document scanning mode, launching halide etc, essentially saving you a tap here and there.

Or I could have shortcuts launch me directly into 1 of a number of predetermined google docs.

Aesthetics is one thing. I feel the potential here is still largely untapped.

Comment

GlenK

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Has anyone found a Stock Market widget that works like the old one on iOS 13. Would like one that has more than 6 stocks and opens up on the widget screen with a "show more" like the past stock widget did. The current one just gives you a potential for six stocks then opens up the stock app if you click on it. I may not be explaining this correctly.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Am I the only one thinking that widgets on Home Screen look awful for the most part? And customizations even worse, it totally doesn’t look like iOS. Apple shouldn’t allow customizations!
Why not? You should have a choice how you home screen looks... Not be told how it should be

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.