Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
This has happened at least twice, maybe a third time. The first time, I tried to use my phone first thing in the morning and the screen was off. Hard reset required.

Today, after using the phone for a while, it wouldn't wake. Always On Display was nowhere to be seen. Opened the camera app on my watch and the camera was still working. Hard reset required.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Next time, I wonder if calling the phone would wake the screen?

iOS 16.0.2 on iPhone 14 Pro 512 GB

• Sad
Reactions: addamas

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I've been seeing lots of reports of 14s becoming non-responsive and having to be hard-reset. Not sure what is going on with these phones!

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I've been seeing lots of reports of 14s becoming non-responsive and having to be hard-reset. Not sure what is going on with these phones!
Guessing it has something to do with the Always On Display since this seems more than I've noticed before.

Hope they work it out by 16.1!

Reactions: usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Guessing it has something to do with the Always On Display since this seems more than I've noticed before.

Hope they work it out by 16.1!

That's a good guess, as that is a significant new feature that wasn't present on previous iPhones. Do you have Always On Display enabled, though? If so, maybe try disabling it and see if it makes a difference. Of course, it could also be something in the code related to AOD that causes issues whether AOD is enabled or not.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's a good guess, as that is a significant new feature that wasn't present on previous iPhones. Do you have Always On Display enabled, though? If so, maybe try disabling it and see if it makes a difference. Of course, it could also be something in the code related to AOD that causes issues whether AOD is enabled or not.
Kind of crazy that people seem to have a near flawless experience with iOS 16 or report a myriad of random issues. Wonder if it’s hardware or some corruption resulting from transferring to a new phone or o/s upgrade.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Kind of crazy that people seem to have a near flawless experience with iOS 16 or report a myriad of random issues. Wonder if it’s hardware or some corruption resulting from transferring to a new phone or o/s upgrade.

I find it to be slightly buggy.

The camera bug was really bad, luckily they fixed it quick.

Also noticing a bug/feature where Siri makes the rest of the phone non-responsive for longer than iOS 15. That could be by design tho?

All the new lock screen stuff seems quite buggy. I'm sure they'll refine that as time goes on.

Reactions: I7guy

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
11Pro 16.0.2
I had similar thing but with pairing of AirPods, had to only wait like 30 seconds.
‘Just after charging’ unresponsible phone I had only once but also on 16.0.2.

They have definitely something screwed up with rise to wake up or other sensors related to keeping phone locked to touch and buttons :/

• Sad
Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
11Pro 16.0.2
I had similar thing but with pairing of AirPods, had to only wait like 30 seconds.
‘Just after charging’ unresponsible phone I had only once but also on 16.0.2.

They have definitely something screwed up with rise to wake up or other sensors related to keeping phone locked to touch and buttons :/

Hmm so it's not just the 14 Pro then.

I haven't been using AirPods as much.

And good pointing out that buttons and touch didn't wake it. Same with mine if that wasn't clear.

Reactions: addamas

ZilzilaStriken

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
Happened to me multiple times while taking out of pocket for something urgent and it won’t come up. Waiting for few seconds like 30 - 40 sec helps and I had 2 times it restarted with spinning bar wheel.

• Wow

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Can't say I have seen that on either my wife's or my 14 Pro but in both cases, we did not restore from a backup. Just setup as new and synced with icloud data(Photos, contacts, messages, ext.) Makes me wonder if it is from a backup. Others have reported 14s locking up in other ways, so hopefully 16.1 addresses them.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I was experiencing this when I got my iPhone 14 Pro Max on launch day. The touchscreen would not work and was completely black. I had to force restart and the issue hasn't appeared since.

The AOD randomly turning off happens at least a few times a week. The latest beta of iOS 16.1 hasn't fixed this issue.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I used the carry settings over from old phone, where you keep the 2 phones near each other for 3 hours - NOT setup as new.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I used the carry settings over from old phone, where you keep the 2 phones near each other for 3 hours - NOT setup as new.
I used the quick set up from my 13PM to my 14PM, took about 30-40minutes. No hard restarts or unresponsive device yet. 16.0.3 today with no issues so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.