iOS 4.2: What Do YOU Prefer the Hardware Switch to be, Rotation Lock or Mute?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whocaresit, Oct 12, 2010.

?

What Would You Want the Hardware Lock on the iPad to be for?

1. Rotation Lock!

76.9%
  2. Mute (like iPhone)

21.5%
  3. Power off/on

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Play/pause

1.6%
  1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

In case you didn't know, iOS 4.2 changes the hardware switch to mute button.

Let's look at what the users actually prefer.. Take part in the Poll (IT'S UP, SPEAK UP!)

2. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

One of the options should have been: user selectable. I actually prefer it as a mute switch because while I can flip the iPhone switch with a fingertip, that's not the case with the iPad switch which is therefore murder on nail polish.

So I'd rather devote the physical switch to something I never use - mute!

3. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man, that's cool.. Nail polish! :eek:

4. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I'm actually very annoyed that the switch is going to be changed to a mute switch....

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It should be user-selectable in the settings. I prefer rotation lock: I can easily mute the device with a 1-second hold of the volume down button.

6. iNtaCt macrumors member

Why should i need mute when i had it already. Hold the volume key in any direction and you got it.

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

This.

I guess if you want to nitpick technically the mute button functions a little different. It only mutes certain sounds. Like notifications and whatnot.... but still! Same damn concept!

You hold the volume key for literally one full second and the thing mutes. Seems pointless to have two physical buttons with the same function.

I want to be able to choose too!

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd prefer it if I had the choice within system preferences of assigning it a task.

9. stix macrumors member

Rotation lock for sure.

Is there no way to lock the screen orientation in 4.2 then? Or is it somewhere in the settings? (yawn)

10. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

You forgot this: Apple don't care what you think. They are happy to ignore you to get the consistency they are after.

11. stix macrumors member

Changing the function of the switch is completely INconsistent though!

12. yegon macrumors 68020

It is, I totally agree, and I'd personally prefer rotation lock. However, I'd guess it was Apple's plan to change it right from the outset - the nature of the iPad makes the ability to rotation lock essential, but as the iPad was only running 3.X at launch, in which there's no software function to lock, they had to dedicate the switch to it temporarily until 4.X came along.

I must admit though, as much as I'd prefer the switch as a lock, having spent considerable time with the beta now, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as I though it would. Plus, at least it's consistent with my iPhone 4.

13. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I think we should be given the choice - let us be able to select what we use the switch for. Some prefer the mute, some, like myself, prefer the rotation lock, and some would like to use it for god knows what. Apple, if you are reading this, give us the freedom to choose the fate of our little switch.

14. JAWWC macrumors regular

If it wasn't for all the new features coming in 4.2 as the same time as this happening it would be a sad sad day! Really not looking forward to it been a mute switch.
    Maybe I'm been dramatic though.....

15. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Personally, I prefer it to be a mute switch. Too many times I have instinctually held down the volume button to decrease the volume, forgetting that holding it down will mute the sound. Then I have to up the volume to bring it back to where I intended it to be. By this point I am usually a little annoyed.

I rarely use rotation lock so it isn't a necessity for me, though I can understand why it is so important to some people.

16. yegon macrumors 68020

It still does this in 4.2.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

User-configurable option? Don't you realize who made your device?

I understand why they made it into a mute switch. It annoys me a bit as I loved being able to hit that switch when needed. But whatever, I'll adapt.

So really, in the end, I'm a user and I have to adapt to the changes the manufacturer does.

18. tills24 macrumors member

Is there a way to select rotation lock in the settings of iOS 4.2?

19. prot0type macrumors regular

Once 4.2 is released I'm sure everyone will adapt to the change pretty quickly.

Personally, a wifi toggle would have been nice.

Just have to hit the Home button twice to bring up your multitask bar and swipe to the left which brings up the rotation lock amongst other quick settings:

Attached Files:

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

See, that's a move I've never managed to master -- when I try to do it, half the time I end up hitting the Home button too slowly, making it react as if I pressed the Home button once. They really need to make that timing user configurable, the way we can with double clicks on a mouse.

21. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I've managed to adapt to double and even triple clicking the home button, but I am not thrilled with soon having to double click, swipe and tap (4 steps) versus a swipe of a switch (1 step). Considering that I don't use much audio on my iPad, but often for reading whilst horizontal, so I engage the rotation lock more often than mute.

22. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I think it should stay as rotation lock, or at the very least make it an option, I almost never mute my iPad, I use it at home or with headphones. I however need to lock the orientation quite a lot. On the flip side, I mute my iPhone every day, and almost never lock the orientation. Keep it the way it is!

23. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Steve Jobs has found a way to annoy me once again. Why change the lock switch??? :mad:

24. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Funnily enough,the original Apple Ipad Store site shows the orientation lock as a mute button, then the changed it by software before release and its been the orientation lock ever since. Looks like 4.2 will change it back to it's original function design. I think the user should have the option to decide so I will be putting forward a suggestion on the apple bug reporter page to add this functionality.

25. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Don't forget to go to apple.com/feedback to let them know you want it a choice or back the way it started.

Please.

Tell your friends to leave feedback too!!! Lol!