iOS 4.3 scan lines / interlacing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TC03, Mar 19, 2011.

1. TC03 macrumors 65816

Last week I updated my phone to iOS 4.3. Quickly I found out that all of a sudden I had very faint horizontal lines all over my screen, quite like scan lines or interlacing. After some googling around I came across the following site:

http://thedice.net/iphone4/

This is exactly the problem I had. I have solved this by downgrading to 4.2.1, so the problems were definitely caused by iOS 4.3.

Does anybody else have or had this issue?

2. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I had it on my phone with 4.2.1. I dont know if it took me a while to realize it or the problem came up over time but its the LCD panel. Only way to fix it is by getting a replacement phone.

Seems to have solved my problem. The replacement is 4.2.1 also though and I'm not about to upgrade because I don't want to lose jailbreak.

I can't believe 4.3 started the issue up. Interesting...

Seems like "home button 4.1 issue" I swore it was 4.1 also but seems like it was a hardware problem and not related to iOS version.

3. Mobster Sauce macrumors member

I upgraded to 4.3 and I have no lines like that.

Although, since the iPhone is made out of glass, you could do lines on it.

4. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

It can't be a hardware problem because the screen IS capable of displaying everything just fine with all iOS versions besides 4.3.
    I'm not sure what you mean and what it has do to with the subject.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Good for you. Keep it that way. ;)

6. richard371 macrumors 68000

Im sure Charlie Sheen has an iP4.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

No.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Conga lines?

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Thanks for the information - I'm reverting to 4.2.1 to see if it helps. I've seen a few threads on Apple Discussions as well that claim it has only happened since 4.3.

10. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh like that, hehe.

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

FYI, OS didn't make a difference for me - in the end I had to go through 2 refurb phones before going to a different store and they swapped it out with one with no flickering on the screen.

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I had an iPhone 4 replaced for the scanlines, annoying as hell and not a "constant" thing, more something that catches your eye during use.

It was most noticeable, for me, on the darker gradient of the lock screen where the time is, and immediately after turning the iPhone on from sleep.

It also stood out of blue app icons, namely the Facebook icon showed them up quite badly.

Replaced no problem. Oh, this was on iOS 4.1, so a little while ago.

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

what exactly are scan lines? How can your eyes tell the diff as shown in that first picture?

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Interlacing lines.

You can't notice then when staring at the screen, but when your eyes move quickly from one part of the screen to another, you quickly catch the lines in your vision.

Very annoying, trust me.

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

I saw them a week back or so my 4.2.1 iPhone, never saw them before in the 4 months that I have my iPhone. However, they disappeared almost as quickly as they came? Very weird.

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It was a lame reference to cocaine.

17. samven582 macrumors 6502a

18. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Did you even read the first post? The OP's problem went away when he reverted to 4.2.1.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just because the problem went away when downgrading - does not make it exclusively a software issue.

Example: Proximity sensor - a hardware problem - but mitigated (slightly) via a software fix. Many people still have it - however it's not as bad as it once was for most.

I saw those lines on my original iPhone - and they are VERY annoying.

20. mastaofdisasta macrumors member

Arrrgh I have this problem too. I was doing some google searching about it and I landed on this thread. Verrrrry annoying. I've gone through probably 4 replacements, and 3 out of the 4 that I got had this problem (I had to get those replaced for other serious reasons). I don't know why but I got major bad luck when it comes to replacements.

Even though I got this problem, I think I'm gonna put my OCD tendencies aside and hold onto this one. Every iPhone 4 replacement I got so far has had issues and this is the only one that I probably have the least issues with. Plus I jailbreak my iPhone, and now with 4.3.4 out and no untethered jailbreak, I'm pretty much stuck with it. Whatevs.

21. Lulsotrue macrumors newbie

I have it to and I am only young and figured it out my self! It's to do with to much colour for pixels to handle its annoying so take it to apple but in the mean time set ur phones background to just white the have two or maybe three apps per page or lots in an organiser box! This should help