iOS 4.3 will bring Personal WiFi Hotspot to GSM iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vasileios, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Vasileios macrumors regular

Vasileios

iOS 4.3 will bring Personal WiFi Hotspot to GSM iPhones.

The information comes from a reliable source via iPhoneHellas.gr and iPhoneclub.nl

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i really hope this comes and that ATT (in the US at least) does not charge extra. Its my data and i pay for it and i should be able to use it anyway i want as long as im not going over. What ATT should do is make it free and if people start to go over then charge those people a separate tethering/hotspot fee along with 2 additional gb. i think this would attract people.

3. stewart715 macrumors 6502

It will go there but they will charge extra, just as Verizon will February 10th.

4. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

Would be nice to really see that feature and not have to pay for it. We will see what AT&T does to match and compete with verizon

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They are already charging extra for it.
    If you want official tethering you have to pay $20 per month and its has been available over bluetooth or wifi. This upgrade will give you the option of doing it over wifi also that's it.
    Unless you JB and get it for free.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i understand but i meant it should be a new feature added. it should be free to start. but if i go over my limit (2gb) then charge me the plan because i wasnt being careful.

if i pay for my data and want to send it to my ipod touch there should be no problem with that. but if i go over my limit then i have to pay a plan.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If AT&T does this then they will surely charge extra for it. When they dropped their unlimited plans, their reasoning was that only a small percentage of users were data hogs. The rest had "normal" usage. As such, some people may want to tether but not hotspot and vice versa so I'm guessing AT&T will make then choose one or the another and charge accordingly.

BUT, that said, they'd be idiots if they didn't expect some fallout from this announcement so they may do some promotional or pricing discount in order to gain/retain more users. Seeing as how there will be an exodus of iPhone users to VZ, AT&T is going to want to lessen the financial impact of that in whatever way they can.

8. jamied95 macrumors 6502

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Verizon said that it was included in the data plans.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, thats how its done with most carriers worldwide but not with the greedy carriers in the US.
    You pay for 2GB for example whether you use that amount thru your phone watching youtube or your laptop it shouldnt make a difference. Its still data.

11. err404 macrumors 68020

Maybe they will be more 'generous' with the data plans now that exclusivity is gone. :rolleyes: