Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Installed GM yesterday and immediately tried out Home Sharing on my iPad. I am very disappointed in how slow it is in displaying the list of movies I have stored in iTunes on my Mac. I have perhaps 100 movies stored and it seems to take a long time to display the titles and if you start scrolling down before it is finished, it displays the wrong titles. This was the featured I was most excited about. Anyone else noticed this problem? I guess I'll go back to using AirVideo.

On the positive side, I enabled multi-touch gestures and really love that feature. It will be interesting to see if it makes the public release version, though I thought GM and public release are the same. I know this feature wasn't meant to be used and you have to jump through the hoops to enable it but IMO it is the best feature of 4.3. It is a shame most people won't get to use them and it will be interesting to see if they keep working after the 11th.

Just a general comment - overall 4.3 seems slower on my iPad than 4.2. At times, I think Safari may be a little faster but in general everything else seems a little slower.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just a general comment - overall 4.3 seems slower on my iPad than 4.2. At times, I think Safari may be a little faster but in general everything else seems a little slower.

Strange, I'm seeing the opposite. 4.3GM seems just a smidgen snappier overall; which could easily just be perception and/or the result of having done the restore.

Main reason I went to 4.3GM was to get the frakking orientation lock capability back on the side switch. I just couldn't stand it any longer! :eek:

Wozza2010

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010

I really hope that isn't the case. The iPad isn't even a year old yet and for it to the slowing down with major updates is poor imho. I can't afford to be spending £500 a year upgrading a device of this type. I expect it to perform supremely for at least 2 years at the minimum.

4.2.1 was a poor update and I'm really hoping 4.3 is an improvement overall.

I shall wait and see what happens next Friday.

mrbuffneff

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
My iPad 2 is painfully slow loading movies as well

I just got the iPad 2, and while music album art loads and displays quickly, the videos display very, very slowly and when you scroll before they're loaded, the titles are wrong.

Considering how well Apple TV works with Home Sharing over the same network, this is very disappointing.

Worse yet, the UI doesn't Group by Genre so when you have 100 videos, it's quite a pain to scroll through them.

If they are both iOS devices, I'm very confused why they wouldn't use the same UI as the Apple TV UI would be great with touch navigation.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I am still continuing to have this problem also. I think it must be a problem between videos purchased thru iTunes Store and videos converted. But other than that I have no idea why this is occurring. I still have to use AirVideo to watch my videos. Bummer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.