IOS 4 bricked my wife's iPod Touch 3g and is she pissed!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aliensporebomb, Jun 21, 2010.

1. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Ugh.

I updated my iPhone 3g to IoS 4 - no problems.

We updated my wifes iPod Touch 3g to IoS 4 - the thing produces an error indicating that the backup on her iMac is corrupted and cannot be applied. EH?

Then it goes into an endless loop where it tries to restore her data for an extremely long period of time, fails, and recycles again.

Highly irritating.

Any ideas?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

can you use an older backup? there should be multiple backups there if you synced with any regularity.

3. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Ah

We can't get to any backups because it keeps going into this stupid endless loop. We force quit itunes after several hours of this. Now she's getting the spinny beach ball of infinite waiting. Ugh.

Update: it actually CLAIMS it's restoring her applications now. Stay tuned.

4. dzaam macrumors newbie

Just put the ipod in DFU mode and restore it again. It's not bricked. That's almost impossible to do with just a firmware update from Apple directly.

5. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Get in a time machine, go back in time, and tell yourself to wait to update. As a community, we haven't all learned that brand new OS's could potentially f*** your s*** up?

You need to hard shut off your device and wait for a fix, sorry dude. Good luck with all.

6. mikeherdes macrumors member

My iPod touch is bricked as well. The restore progress bar gets about 95% full, then fails to complete.

Are there any other programs that can restore an iPod?

7. iPagan macrumors regular

I did some reading here before I updated my Ipod Touch 3rd gen 32 gig to iOS 4. It went fast and smooth. 10 minutes total? If that. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the individual iOS4 file for iPod Touch 3rd Gen linked in the iPhone sub-forum here.

2. Launch iTunes 9.2 and hook iPod Touch to my MBP 13"

3. Right click on iPod Touch in the left panel of iTunes to back up and then sync iPod Touch.

4. Option + click on "Update" in iTunes

5. It took about 10 minutes--if that--for the update to finish.

Note: I do NOT have any music or photo or video files on my iPod Touch. Only about 20 or so apps, if that makes any difference.

8. mikeherdes macrumors member

If you can't get it restored try using another computer.

I switched from my macbook to a windows xp computer. I did a fresh install of the new itunes and the computer was able to get the IOS 4 installed. I took the iPod back to my macbook and it recognized it and asked if I had to go through all my files again and select witch songs/apps/pictures I wanted on the iPod.

9. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Update

All:

We took it to my computer and I did manage to get DFU going - for some
    reason on her computer it just kept recycling the iPod over and over.

Process:
    -Shut off iPod with it connected to my G5.
    -Perform DFU procedure as seen in a billion youtube videos.
    -Computer BING'ed and after that I was able to download the 4.0 update.
    -It applied this time correctly and all was well.
    -We then removed it from my computer and then put it over on her computer again and all was well.

Her computer: iMac Core2duo 3.06 ghz. Mine PowerMac G5 2.5 dual.

I don't think that had a lot to do with it: I think it was just that it was a different computer.

She also had almost ALL 32 gigs of her 32gig Touch3g filled so maybe it was
    so close to the edge there was no room for the update to be applied.

Once it was wiped after the DFU it updated and all was well and she's copying her data over as I type this.

10. Scorch D7 macrumors newbie

Scorch D7

Same Exact Problem

I could not of explained it better and its my gf's phone too. Okay I'm actually glad to see you have the same problem because its apples issue not ours from human error. I think we should just take it into the Apple store to get it fixed. If you figure out the problem can you let me know what you did so i can fix hers too. Many Thanks!

11. Scorch D7 macrumors newbie

Scorch D7

I hope this works for iPhone 3G... I didn't realize it was an iPod Touch...