iOS 5.0.1 - Very buggy. Just me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atrevers, Nov 17, 2011.

1. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

I upgraded my 4S to 5.0.1 as soon as I bought it last Friday, and it seems to have problems downloading iCloud contact updates. I update through the Address Book on my Mac, and changes don't replicate to my iPhone, or to my iPad 1. I've removed iCloud contact syncing and set it up again, and it doesn't pull down my contacts at all now. Additionally, I can't go into the body of emails (Gmail Exchange), as it just shows the spinner and says "Loading". I've reset the iPhone, done a factory reset, and even restored the software but still no good.

Also, my iPad hasn't downloaded any emails or replicated through the Gmail Exchange servers since I updated that to 5.0.1 a couple of nights ago. On top of that, battery life on both my 4S and my iPad (which was previously fine) is now appalling.

All in all it strikes me that, given I'm using 2 different iOS devices and have reset/restored, 5.0.1 was released in a rush with little or no quality control. Am I the only one to get these issues?

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

No, but they are not common. Your battery issue is probably related to ActiveSync with GMail, and/or contact syncing in iCloud.

1) Delete GMail from the device of your choice, and set it back up from scratch. See if that cures the GMail issue. If it does, repeat on the other device.

2) Steve said "The Cloud is Truth" - so log into http://www.icloud.com and take care of your initial contact data there. Then let it flow down to all your devices. See if that helps.

3. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

All good advice, but I've tried that already (deleting and readding Gmail), and it makes no difference. Also, the changes I made in Address Book are showing on the iCloud site, so there's no reason they shouldn't propagate down to my iPhone and iPad. I'm at a loss as to what to try next! Genius bar next Monday is I think the only option.

4. atrevers thread starter macrumors regular

atrevers

An update for anybody else with these issues, it turns out the problem was caused by Gmail.

After trawling Google, I discovered that there is a known issue with the size of the 'All Mail' folder causing problems. What had happened was that on Tuesday night, I'd cleared out several thousand old emails using Mail.app on my mac, assuming that they'd delete correctly. Due to the IMAP settings, they don't and instead get archived. This in turn corrupted the mail settings on my iOS devices. Eventually, I figured out how to search in Gmail for any messages not marked Inbox or Sent (for info: "-label:inbox -label:sent") and delete them properly from the server. I then removed the mail account off my iOS devices, rebooted,, set the account back up, and it seemed to fix it.

Next problem - contacts still not populating from iCloud. It had improved slightly, but only a few of my contact list were downloading. I deleted iCloud from iPhone and iPad, then exported all Address Book contacts to a vCard file on my mac, then deleted them all. This replicated instantly to iCloud. I then added the contacts back to Address Book, which again went to iCloud instantly. I then set up iCloud from scratch - and bingo, full synchronisation across all devices with instant updates between all of them.

Phew! I've also got a feeling that the corrupted mail settings were causing the device to get stuck in some loops, having an adverse effect on the battery life (hence why the iPad battery performance was also poor) - this from Google's IMAP settings help page: