ios 5.1 turn off 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guccigucci88, Mar 17, 2012.

1. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

I have read that with the ios 5.1 upgrade that you can turn off the 3gs again. I don't have that option even though I have upgraded to 5.1 whats up with that? I have an iphone 4s btw.

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

you on AT&T network?

3. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

AT&T doesn't want you to be able to turn off 3G on any of their phones for very valid reasons. I know it's annoying to us geek types but here's why:

1. There are large chunks of the AT&T network (mostly converted Alltel properties, but not exclusively) without GSM. Customers in these areas with 3G off will either be roaming (often on poor networks) or have no service. Even in areas with GSM, the signal doesn't generally reach as far (though this varies depending on terrain). Not a good customer experience.

2. GSM is just plain slow. Customers who know less may see the "save battery" or may just accidentally turn off 3G, then complain about their slow phone.

3. AT&T is working on shutting down GSM channels (especially PCS channels, there is enough extra space to have some GSM even with two [the max] cellular UMTS channels) to refarm the spectrum for UMTS. The fewer users on GSM, the more they can do this without affecting the few who actually need GSM (a whole ton of Tracfones and embedded devices)

Even in places with plenty of spectrum, good GSM service, etc the reality is that GSM is a generally far inferior experience. I know, the geeks in us would like to switch to GSM when we need to eek out a bit longer battery life or if the UMTS network's overloaded in a spot or something. But still...

4. astrorider macrumors 6502

Has nothing to do with the geek in me trying to eek out battery. I find 3G is often much less reliable in my house. Turning it off means less dropped calls, and since I have wifi I don't need the better 3G data speed.

5. guccigucci88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

Lol I don't really know what kind of "geek" type activities have to do with turning on and off the 3g, but I would just like it for battery purposes. When your in low signal areas the phone does drain pretty hard in searching. This wouldn't really matter too much except many buildings on my campus have terrible signal and on long days my phone will barely make it if at all.

I'm with bell btw.

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

If AT&T is killing EDGE, does that mean they will replace all the non-3G devices they sold me with 2-year contracts?

7. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

AT&T is not shutting down GSM/EDGE. They're reducing capacity on it to re-farm for UMTS (3G), and also in some areas reducing coverage by eliminated cell sites (GSM doesn't have the 1 channel reuse factor UMTS has so this is needed sometimes to further reduce the number of GSM channels running).

The only GSM currently running being completely eliminated is in the 1900 band (since UMTS channels fit nice and evenly into those allocations). Any 1900-only device would never have worked well with AT&T.

There are, however, some markets where AT&T is planning to have such minimal GSM capacity that the remaining GSM network will be severely overloaded and be just terrible. If you live in one of those markets, AT&T will send you a letter and offer you some excellent incentives on 3G phones. So far this only applies in parts of New York. Some in government have also warned AT&T they're not going to take too kindly to a very sudden GSM shutdown. There's still LOTS of international roaming happening in GSM since even UMTS European phones often don't supports the 850 and 1900 bands for UMTS.

Also, in many newer markets, there simply is no GSM in many places because there never was. Look at former Alltel markets like Montana. Alltel ran some GSM for roamers. AT&T hasn't added anything to it. Anywhere Alltel didn't have GSM still doesn't. UMTS only. Shown on AT&T's map with blue lines... http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=voice

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

And turning off data at home doesn't work?

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, turning off data wouldn't help at all. The phone would still kill the battery trying to connect to a 3G cell tower for calls.

10. astrorider macrumors 6502

Sorry, you lost me. Calls while on the 3G network are less reliable for me. Does turning off data cause the phone to use the older network that gives me more reliable calls? All I know is the phone says Edge when on that network, although I thought Edge really referred to the data network.

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Would it really?

----------

I guess you're right. Just trying to come up with something that might help.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Ask them for a free microcell if it's that bad.

13. theelysium Suspended

theelysium

The 2G is a way more reliable network. I'm pissed they took it away! Again AT&T screws us.

If AT&T weren't so incompetent they would have built their 3G network correctly, which would keep us from switching to 2G just to make and keep a phone call!

I can't wait for TMobile to get the iPhone!

14. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

LOL, GSM is not *way more reliable* - again it depends where you're at. Here in Montana (or an any of the other ex-Alltel markets), the GSM sucks. Miserably sucks. About half the coverage of UMTS, and unreliable as can be. GSM in New York is certainly going to get really bad soon as they re-farm PCS to get another UMTS channel up and running. Which will improve UMTS speed and reliability dramatically.

AT&T doesn't want you to have the choice, among many other reasons, because getting everyone on UMTS is what will MAKE it more reliable. By reducing the load on GSM and allowing them to re-farm for additional UMTS channels...

15. theelysium Suspended

theelysium

DUAH it depends on where you are at. Where I am at EDGE rocks. HSPDA Sucks.

We pay AT&T for 2G and 3G service it's in our contract, but AT&T is trying to get out of letting us use the 2G service we help pay for. If they don't want us accessing the 2G network anymore then the should charge us for 3G only. :rolleyes: