iOS 5 devs: write Apple to add Wifi/BlueTooth switches to top of Notification area!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoboCop001, Jun 9, 2011.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Right? Wouldn't that make sense? It would make it easier to get to! lol

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

or

or atleast the option to include them. As well as airplane mode. These would make it much nicer. Another nice thing to add would be not closing the damn app store and showing downloads in notification area. The closing of the app store after every click on download is probably the most annoying thing about the iphone.

3. JanexBastion macrumors newbie

I would LOVE to see this feature. I am hoping to hear that it is a feature that just wasn't released on the first beta, and may pop up in the future.

4. gks macrumors 6502

I've been trying to keep an eye on the new documentation that apple has tossed up this week, but I've seen absolutely no information about being able to do this.

Sadly, at least in this beta, there is no way to do what you ask.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I'm sorry, how often do you turn WiFi/Airplane Mode on and off???

I rarely touch those settings because:
    1. WiFi "turns itself off" when I'm not, um, in WiFi area (duh!)
    2. Airplane Mode only for when I have to travel by plane

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't it constantly search for WiFi signals while not connected?

I turn it off and on twice a day, leaving work and coming home. I'm sure it's pretty easy for Apple to add this lol

Perhaps even Personal Hotspot too. It's just more convenient.

That way you don't need to leave the app you're in.

7. gks macrumors 6502

Actually, I'd love this feature. Not necessarily airplane mode. But more specifically Bluetooth. I use it only for my bluetooth headset and turning it on and off via the settings menu is a pain. It would be a nice option, just like the weather and stock ticker (both of which can be turned off if you prefer).

I also turn wifi off when my internet goes down.. Which sadly due to storms has been frequent lately. So it would just be a nice feature. Could save on battery when I'm at work too since I could easily turn it on and off.

Even when not connected it still uses power.

8. outphase macrumors 65816

While I do not turn them off myself, leaving them on even when not connected causes them to poll for a possible connection. This is even more true if you leave "Ask to join networks" enabled even though that setting is pretty damn annoying.

9. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I agree. That would be great too!

10. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

A bit off topic, but am I right in saying that iOS5 will download App updates automatically if you so choose, and that those updates are delta updates?

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

There's a switch to make it stop searching for networks.

Don't get me wrong, Bluetooth would be a useful/handy option but not WiFi or Airplane Mode.

12. celticpride678

I've submitted a report about this. Waiting to get a response. If I do get a response, won't be able to say much because of NDA.

13. gks macrumors 6502

Can you message me the radar id? I'll see if i can add to it

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

My choices for notification-toggles would be Wi-Fi and location services. Maybe 3G/cellular data, but I find myself leaving data off more often than not now so it's not really an issue for me

15. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

I have SBSETTINGS on my iPhone. Which I use all the time to toggle my Bluetooth and WIFI on and off. I can even do it while the phone is locked. I would love that in IOS5.

16. celticpride678

id #: 9584243

17. gks macrumors 6502

gracias

18. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

I think that is extremely important to have the stocks and weather in notification pull down menu. No one needs wifi, Bluetooth, gsm toogles!

Please don't stress iOS devs!

19. celticpride678

Maybe you don't, but a lot of others do! Trust me, the devs have been stressed enough

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Personally, I would love the wifi one cause I hate auto mode.

Either I have to go into settings everytime i want to use wifi (decent amount of times), or I put up with when moving around (like in a car or travelling) my iphone constantly bugging me about not finding a familiar network, connect with this one?

I'd rather just have an easy access way to turn it on and off when I want.

21. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Can't you read? As I said, there's a switch to make the iPhone stop searching for networks. It's been there since day one. Very useful too.

22. RoboCop001, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Where's that? I only see the setting for "Ask to join networks"

Either way regardless if you have the "Ask" feature on or off, I think it just constantly searches if it's not connected. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

Or are you talking about a new setting in iOS 5?

Edit: Just saw your post saying that it's been there since day 1, so obviously not talking about a new iOS 5 feature lol, but I still don't see a "turn off searching" feature, just the "ask to join" one, which I don't think disables the searching.

23. flatfoot99 Guest

24. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

1. There are WiFi Hotspots EVERYWHERE, I have been in buildings where there is Wifi, that I'm not even connected to and my battery drains faster.
    2. I take 120-140 flights a year, so hell yeah, I'd like to see it. I also use airplane mode when in bad signal areas because searching for signal destroys your battery.

25. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Well, this is a stupid post.

The weather and stock apps are extremely basic, I can't imagine why you wouldn't use something better from the App Store.

Toggles similar to the one used by SBSettings are far more useful (according to Saurik, the most downloaded app is SBSettings)