iOS 5 eating battery quick

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RafaelT, Jun 6, 2011.

1. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Anyone else with iOS 5 notice it using battery really fast?

2. Thadon macrumors member

I actually was thinking the complete opposite. I have noticed a little better battery life on my iPhone and iPad.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say IT IS BETA SOFTWARE. Battery is not optimized at all and if anything extra services are running for debugging. Generally speaking power optimization is one of the later things tested out. It can be done but they do not turn it on until one of the last round of beta testing.

4. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I have been playing with it but I have used 30% in the last hour and fifteen minutes, the phone is really warm as well.

I realize that. This is not a complaint, just wondering what others were getting.

5. ek9max macrumors regular

6. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Mine is bad too, but I'm noticing I'm having a hell of a time staying on AT&T 3G while in my office building. I can only assume that since the signal is already half crap, that this current build is not going to be optimized to maintain those minute signals.

When I drop down to EDGE, everything is fine. Of course.

That being said, I would like to test my battery when I'm outside of my building (located in midtown Manhattan) and see how the battery life is on a normal day's use away from here.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

8. caskid macrumors newbie

Push Mail

Push Mail is a big battery drain in iOS 5.0. Set any mail accounts to Fetch and you should see a big improvement:)

9. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Big problem is you cannot turn off Push AT ALL, even with everything off, I couldn't get rid of the push connections - you can see them using the NetStat app.

This is a BIG deal breaker for me, on 4.3.3 I have no connections at all and really nice battery life since I don't use any push.

iOS5 feels like a jailbroken 4.3.3, with s bunch of battery draining fluff added in :rolleyes:

10. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I restored from a backup.

11. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Battery life is pretty bad here as well, not surprising for the first beta though...

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

It's a BETA

13. JASApplications macrumors 65816

It drains slightly more than iOS4 but there is no major difference for me.

14. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I had shocking battery life after restoring from my backup

I restored the ipsw again and this time setup as a new iPhone and my battery life is like iOS4 again (great)

15. Toraen, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

Toraen macrumors member

My battery life has been horrible, whereas normally it's quite good.

To echo what was said earlier, my phone is also warm most of the time (but not hot like I've been playing a game or talking for a long time).

I notice that location services icon is constantly on. Perhaps due to the camera always being loaded or the GPS enabled reminders (I created one to test it, but deleted it after). In my location history it shows only the camera and reminders as having requested data in the last 24 hours. (The icon on the top bar is constantly on).

It's beta (and first beta at that), so I'm not complaining - simply observing.

I may follow the instructions on other threads and restore to 4.3.3 simply because I don't like the excessive battery drain.

I guess I can try setting up as a new iPhone first, doesn't really take that much more time.

16. CarsonGallo macrumors member

CarsonGallo

Yep Bad 4 Me as well

Yeah I had 78% when I left 4 school on my iPhone 4 and died about 4.3 hours into school. So yeah batt life is down dramatically. Gotta remember to keep bringing charger with me.

17. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

18. Dorv macrumors regular

I have seen no real impact to battery life thus far.

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

No complaints here but yes, it's chewing through the battery fast! With my previous 4.3, the battery lasted all day. I would come home with about 75% but now I am hitting 40% and I haven't been using it that much.

20. FrogBot macrumors newbie

I was experiencing battery problems too, but I found that if you disable location services for Weather.app the problem pretty much disappears. I assume it must be constantly checking the user's location in the background to ensure that the notification centre widget displays the right weather.

21. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

I didn't use it all night and it went down from 43% to depleted...

22. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

It's actually been ok for me. I took it off charge at 2AM last night and at 8.30 this morning it had only drained 4% and thats with push/fetch contacts, email & calendars, icloud backups, wi-fi on etc.

It drains a little more than 4.3 but nothing major at all.

23. saschke macrumors 6502

This is Beta software and you are complaining. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

24. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

^^^^ This is the answer my friends

25. Toraen macrumors member

Tried the setup as a new iPhone last night, my battery is still being drained. Lost 19% on the way to work (~30m of bluetooth music and minor browsing/email).

I have noticed a few changes though.

- The phone is no longer constantly warm.

- The location services icon is no longer constantly on. (I tried playing with the camera lock button, and location reminders to see if that's what triggered the problem before... both seem fine, and location services went away when I stopped using them).

- Previously there were minor hiccups in the animations sometimes. The phone seems to be exceptionally fast now.

I will try denying the weather app my location, see if that's the trick.