iOS 5 jailbreak random reboot / kernel panic on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muttonhead411, Nov 12, 2011.

1. muttonhead411 macrumors member

Hi forum,

For those of us who are on iOS 5 tethered jailbreak on the iPhone 4, most of us would have noticed by now that there seems to be a OS crashing problem.
    The problem is especially obvious to us because of the tethered boot nature of the jailbreak. Once the phone crashes, all we see is the apple logo until we reboot tethered with a computer.

This may be due to the jailbreak and something needs to be fixed on that end, or, this may even be an iOS bug that not many people realize unless the phone crashes while being used.

Looking at the diagnostic logs, i noticed many panic.plist logs which suggest something is causing a kernel panic. The logs seem to suggest that applexHDart (whatever that is) is causing it.

Then I set out on a search to find the cause of it, observing triggers that may reproduce the crash. I found nothing...

until today.

I knew i was going to be out the whole day today, so i decided to turn off my wifi. To my surprise, the phone did not crash at all today.

Which leads me to the conclusion that the wireless radio is causing random kernel panics. It does not have to be connected to a network to crash, so as long as it is turned on.

I do not have a clue why this is or how to fix it, except to turn off the wireless radio when not in use.

I hope this helps someone out there, and if any little detectives out there knows more than i do, please share here so we can all benefit from it.

PS: Please dont troll and say stop jailbreaking as a solution.

Thanks everyone.

2. besweeeet macrumors member

It seems quite common for us iOS 5 jailbreakers to experienc kernel panics, but I don't think it's related to Wi-Fi (at least on my end). Very rarely do I even use Wi-Fi on my iPhone 4, yet the kernel panics still happen at least once a day. It doesn't bother me very much thanks to SemiTether, but it can still be annoying.

Not sure if a hardware replacement will fix such a thing, and I'm afraid to try, as I don't want to get an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 on it (even though a tethered jailbreak is still available).

I'd try restoring from scratch without restoring from an iCloud backup (like I usual do), but it's currently impossible to restore to stock (or jailbroken) 5.0 no matter what you do.

3. emercy macrumors newbie

hi, i have the same problem , i always have the wifi ON , so i will try shuting off in order to see this.

if you find another solution please, coment

4. besweeeet macrumors member

It has nothing to do with Wi-Fi, considering I rarely use Wi-Fi on my iPhone 4 and it still kernel panics.

iOS 5.0.2 should be fixing this.