iOS 5 Untethered Jailbreak “Covered”

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TaterToT, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TaterToT macrumors 6502

i0n1c has reassured his Twitter followers that an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 is in the works. A tool will presumably be released soon after the iOS update is made public on the 14th. During JailbreakCon (formerly My Great Fest) this Summer, p0sixninja announced that five iOS 5 vulnerabilities had been found for the iPad 2 and possibly iPhone 5, so it shouldn’t be long before users are able to mow down the walled garden.

from iFans.com

Can't wait to be jailbroken again.. been on the iOS 5 Beta.

2. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

3. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Keyword: Untethered

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

I thought the release date for iOS5 was the 12th with the iPhone4s being available on the 14th?

5. April Knight, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I put iOS 5 on my iPad to test, and I am very tempted to give up my jailbreak to get the full experience, but it's so close now..

I am stuck.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Can you say what part of the iOS 5 experience you like so much that it may lead you to give up being jailbroken? I'm very interested. I'm jailbroken now but have wondered whether iOS 5 is that great to give up, at least temporarily, the jailbreak. Thanks.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Stupid Question but..

does iOS 5 do anything that blocks normall downgrading using your blobs?

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

It's really a combination of what iOS5 offers and which jb apps someone has installed.

With each jb, I would always make a list of the jb apps I had installed and decided whether I wanted to re-install them.

For me, the important jb apps are biteSMS and PDAnet. However, I also use iBooks quite a bit and if iBooks continues to not work on the untethered jb, I will not be jailbreaking. As much as I like biteSMS and PDAnet, I like iBooks more. :D

10. thomas2010 macrumors newbie

It's and untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod touch 3 /4 not for 4S. The vulnerability of it lies in the A4 chip and other chips (and that makes it difficult to Apple to patch because it's hardware related and not software). It'll take at least a few weeks before we'll see iPhone 4S (A5) jailbroken. But the untethered jailbreak of the iPhone 4 and prior to it will probably come out by Thursday

11. April Knight, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

actually, i'm pretty sure it does ...

13. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

does that mean i won't be able to downgrade back to 4.3.3 using tiny umbrella if i don't like ios5?

14. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Can't wait!!! I won't receive my 4S until later this month, so, hopefully, jailbreak will be out by then! :)

15. psejcf macrumors member

It's also got something to do with iTunes version 10.5 than just iOS 5 alone. Search the web, and keep iTunes 4.x handy somewhere.

16. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

In my experience, since iOS 5 includes a new baseband (which is incompatible with iOS 4), downgrading is difficult. I tried out the betas, and in order to downgrade, I had to restore straight from Apple's servers to get back on iOS 4 with an iOS 4 baseband, then used my saved SHSH blobs to restore back to 4.2.8 (I have a VZW iPhone).

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not get the full ios 5.0 experience and the JB options?;)

You can always downgrade to any firmware you have blobs for prior to 5.0
    With 5.0 and higher I heard shsh blobs will be useless and could only be used to downgrade to firmware versions prior to 5.0+

18. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

just a quick warning, if you do downgrade (like i have) and you've already moved from mobileme to icloud, you'll lose icloud until you upgrade again.
    (obvious i know, but it went over my head :eek: :p )

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I'm going to miss the small parts of jailbreaking like disabling the splash screen and sbsettings, nav from maps and folder enhancer will also be missed.

Crashing an iphone 4 about once a week, I wont miss that.

I have unlimited data but have only gone over 2gb twice in the last 18 months, I'm thinking I'm just going to pay for the 4gb teathering plan and be done with it.

Sure was fun learning how to play with the 4, kick started a new love for computers and brought me to the mac...

I appreciate everyone that helped me learn how to tweak the phone!!:D

20. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

Well iOS 5 is out... too bad I'm upgrading to the iPhone 4S so I'll have to wait a bit longer than you all who are staying with the 4