Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just something I found yesterday.

If you have a 4s, there is currently a way out of iOS 9. Just download the IPSW and restore through iTunes.

Not really a jailbreak thing but I know lots of jailbreakers are looking to downgrade a device.

Take the easy route if you have the 4s.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Yet the stock Apple Maps app doesn't work. You would think perhaps Apple would fix this as long as they are signing this iOS. I think it reflects poorly on them to offer an iOS with a part of it broken (and no fix in sight).
Otherwise, yes! I reset a couple of older iPhone 4S's with this and it is a joy to use again as iOS9 kind of killed the whole experience.
Now. . . If Apple would consider allowing the same iOS for the iPhone 4!

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yet the stock Apple Maps app doesn't work. You would think perhaps Apple would fix this as long as they are signing this iOS. I think it reflects poorly on them to offer an iOS with a part of it broken (and no fix in sight).
Otherwise, yes! I reset a couple of older iPhone 4S's with this and it is a joy to use again as iOS9 kind of killed the whole experience.
Now. . . If Apple would consider allowing the same iOS for the iPhone 4!
I'd appreciate it if they'd let me roll back my iPhone 5. ;)

Reactions: braddick

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I was able to do so during the recent Apple debacle. All three older iPhone 5's now on iOS6.1.3 (The trick to activation is each of them was on iOS7.1.2 and NOT iOS10... thus allowing full restore to iOS6 without the hicccup of not being able to actually activate them.)
Also rolled back two iPods to iOS6 and an iPhone 5S (to 7.0.3!).
An older iPad. . . yet when I went to do so with an older iPhone 5C the party ended. . .

Reactions: eyoungren

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
argh! Hope it lasts long, I've been thinking of buying a new 4s just to run the old apps I used to use. The 4/4s is my favorite design of all time.

Reactions: mikzn

Bruce Banner

Suspended
Feb 14, 2018
Just something I found yesterday.

If you have a 4s, there is currently a way out of iOS 9. Just download the IPSW and restore through iTunes.

Not really a jailbreak thing but I know lots of jailbreakers are looking to downgrade a device.

Take the easy route if you have the 4s.
Can anybody confirm if iOS 6 is still signed for 4S??

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Can anybody confirm if iOS 6 is still signed for 4S??
Hmmm…

I create a thread saying it is. At least one person tries it and downgrades.

And you ask if anyone can confirm it?

I guess this isn't enough for you then?

If not, why don't you go try it and be the one you are looking for to confirm it.

Bruce Banner

Suspended
Feb 14, 2018
Hmmm…

I create a thread saying it is. At least one person tries it and downgrades.

And you ask if anyone can confirm it?

I guess this isn't enough for you then?

If not, why don't you go try it and be the one you are looking for to confirm it.
Please help! I'm stuck on waiting for iPhone to respond! iPhone is stuck on apple logo

I'm restoring to iOS 6.1.3 through dfu mode
IMG_0015.JPG

Last edited:

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I can also confirm it is still being signed, i just put it on my 4S yesterday

It also automatically auto-OTA's to 8.4.1 after, which may be of interest to some people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.