iOS 6.1 and StraightTalk- no data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okaycpu, Feb 6, 2013.

1. okaycpu macrumors newbie

I just bought an iPhone 4S - factory unlocked (64 GB) on eBay, so I could use it on the StraightTalk network for $45 a month. When I got my phone in the mail it already had iOS 6.1 installed. I had Straight Talk send me my SIM card (that i had to cut down to fit) and I followed the directions; ported my Verizon number over and everything. The phone itself works; I can send texts and calls, but the internet and data do not. Also, from what I've read, once you are connected to the StraightTalk network, it should say HOME up in the left hand corner, mine says T-mobile and has a little circle where it should say 3G or whatever. Why does my phone not say HOME and why can't I connect to the internet? I've looked all over and messed with the APN settings about a dozen time now and nothing seems to get it to work.

I've done some reading and apparently ever since the 6.1 update was released people have had this problem and seem to need an activated T-mobile SIM to do some weird swap thing. Is there any way around that?

I'm downloading the 6.0.1 firmware so I can downgrade my phone to see if that works. If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem I would be very grateful.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

straight talk sent you tmobille sim card. u can swap it for att version or use on tmobile without 3g. reason why your data doesn't work is because you need to set apn settings. go into settings--> general--> cellular and see if you have cellular data network in there. if you do then you need to set:

Cellular Data

APN: att.mvno

Username: *blank*

Password: *blank*

MMS

APN: att.mvno

Username: *blank*

Password: *blank*

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80

MMS Max Message Size: 1048576

MMS UA Prof URL: http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf

Toggle airplane mode and restart your phone.

if you don't see cellular data network then you need to do sim swap trick

3. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

It says "Home" when you are on a AT&T tower, seems like they are only selling and sending T-Mobile SIM cards now....

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I noticed that too, odd.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I Purchased my Straight Talk SIM from walmart and I'm pretty sure its "AT&T" as when I ordered it last month at beginning it said "AT&T STraight Talk SIM" but ill know when I activate it this weekend as I'll be heading to the states:)

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Good to know, and I was referring to online orders from straighttalk.com. If you select GSM iPhone, it shows a non-micro T-Mobile SIM. Unless they are just sold out of the AT&T SIMs in my area.

7. js81, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

js81 macrumors 65816

js81

My area (eastern part of KY) USED to show sim cards when I chose to bring my own AT&T compatible phone - my wife uses an AT&T iPhone 4 with ST. Now it doesn't list "bring an AT&T phone" as an option, and when I choose unlocked phone and put in my zip, it doesn't have any sims available (there's no t-mo service here). I bet they're getting away from AT&T... which means we'll have to find something else. Awesome; we are perfectly happy and content with ST otherwise. :(

Back to the topic at hand, good news is her data works perfectly fine with iOS 6.1 and the unlockit.co.nz APN installed...

EDIT: It might be OK. Check out this post (from an Android forum, natch) that says they're simply out of stock...

Still available at Walmart, too.