iOS 6.1 - Sprint iPhone 5 No Longer Auto Switches to LTE

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Greenstein, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Greenstein macrumors member

After updating to 6.1 my iPhone 5 no longer auto switches when in an LTE area. In order to be on LTE I have to go into the cellular settings, switch off LTE and then after a 10 second wait or so, I switch back on LTE and it connects to LTE in a split second. I'm thinking the 6.1 update screwed something up. I have rebooted several times and it doesn't fix the issue. What a pain in the ass this will be just to use LTE. Prior to the update it switched beautifully between 3G and LTE.

Anyone else having this issue in Kansas City or other Sprint LTE cities?

2. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I don't have Sprint, but whenever I switched to 3G and switched back it never went back to LTE unless I switched airplane mode on then off. I just checked and it still does this! Maybe its a CDMA thing?

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

5. Greenstein thread starter macrumors member

What exactly happens when you do this?

6. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Your network decides when your handset will perform the measurements that lead to a switch to LTE. Not your end, and you can't really force it.

More Technical Explanation from this thread on another forum (here):
    Telstra and Optus are two different carriers with LTE in Australia. You will likely find similar differences between two carriers in every country.

7. k2dragon macrumors member

Yes, in Dallas area. Fixed

I was only getting 3G in areas I normally get LTE. I just reset network settings and LTE came up. Resetting network settings will remove all stored wifi networks (goes to factory network settings). It does not remove Cellular Usage Data. But always, do a backup.