iOS 6: Icons & Images look 'sharper' & colors look 'richer' than B4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Scottyee, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Scottyee macrumors regular

After I installed iOS 6 on my iPad 3 last night, I immediately noticed that the App icons, wallpaper, and images all look 'sharper' & colors 'richer' than before I installing the upgrade (from iOS 5.1.1).

To make sure I wasn't simply imagining it, I compared my iPad 3 with my friend's iPad 3 (who was still running 5.1.1) and we both saw the same dramatic difference. My friend was going to wait a few days before upgrading to iOS6, but after seeing that noticeable improvement, immediately upgraded to iOS6 too. Anybody else notice a screen sharpness & colors richer improvement after upgrading to iOS6?

2. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I agree..thought it was just me, glad I'm not the only one. The icons, etc. definitely look sharper and the colors more rich than before

4. milesaway219 macrumors newbie

Noticed the same thing. Very curious to understand what changed

5. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Are you guys running the official release or the GM version? I know some say they're the same but I just thought I'd ask since I'm on the GM version. I can't tell any difference if you ask me.

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I noticed this first thing after updating. Looks like they changed the gamma.

7. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

What's the dif between the GM version vs the Official Version?
    I installed iOS6 directly from my iPad 3 via: Settings > General > Software Updates
    When I ran the update there was no mention of GM (btw: what does that stand for?), so assume mine's the official version. iOS6 most definitely makes my app icons and high resolution images look even better than they did when running OS5.1.1. I'm definitely not going back to 5.1.1 and forfeit IOS 6's significantly impressive visual improvement.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I noticed this as well, my first thought was they changed the gamma...? I like it! :cool:

9. cotak macrumors regular

Seriously your friend decides to upgrade because of icons?

It could just be a different color profile for the screen? It's likely the higher saturation in the iphone 5 means they decided to match in other devices, as not to make one look worse at the store than the other. It might actually be worse color accuracy wise.

10. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

They probably did it to make the iPhone 5 look better.

11. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Noticed this on my 4S after updating. Colors are definitely richer.

12. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Retina effect...?

I wonder if it is more noticeable on, or specific to, the Retina iPad? My iPad 2 looks no different, in fact I would say that the folders and icons look a little... fuzzy... to me. Perhaps it's the change in color scheme.

13. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

GM = Golden Master, it's the version released early to devs before its official lunches to the public.

Is this change isolated to the iPads only? Do we have 4S owners experiencing the same thing as described by the OP?

14. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I'm experiencing this on my 4S.

15. nickpro macrumors regular

I can confirm noticing this on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S, though the effect is MUCH more pronounced on my 4S. Before the update the colors were very washed out and yellowish, the update has basically restored the richness of my old 4 that I sorely missed. Honestly this might be my favorite feature of iOS 6, it's almost like having a new phone.

16. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Did you download iOS 6 GM or OTA?