ios 7 Apple Store refused to even look at phone till I restore to iOS6

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by GadgetGeek407, Aug 31, 2013.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I know i have read on here several people had no issues getting their phones looked at or even replaced running ios 7. Apparently I went to Apple Store here in Orlando and OMG they would not even look at it until I restored it back to ios 6 not matter even if it was a hardware issue in this case which it was.

They said they would restore it back to ios 6 before they did anything and that is policy and blah blah.

2. Jakimo macrumors 6502

Do you have a developer's account? I'm curious if that has something to do with it..

3. pk7, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013

pk7 macrumors 6502

It really depends on the Apple Store. Look around in these forums and you will see people that have had success running iOS 7 and other have had the same experience as you. In general though, I wouldn't take my phone into the Apple Store running an unreleased, beta iOS. Whether you're a developer or not can also make a difference, even if it is a hardware issue.

4. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do but regardless they don't even know that because this was just two guys who happened to see I was on ios 7 and were like oh btw since you are using iOS 7 I noticed you know that you have to put it back to ios 6

5. marvz, Aug 31, 2013

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

We all know how the Genius Bar handles iDevices with iOS7 beta and there are a lot of threads in this forum about it.
    If you're lucky they don't bother with it or if not you've to restore to iOS 6.
    It just varies from person to person. End of story.
    And the thread poster didn't even asked a question.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

7. PNutts, Aug 31, 2013

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I enjoy hearing other people's experiences. It helps shape what I would do in similar circumstances.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Because iOS 7 isn't live yet, there is no official support for the OS yet. The Geniuses follow the procedures, and those procedures do not include iOS 7 yet. There should be no surprise that they turned you away for running iOS 7, whether you are a registered dev or not.

10. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I think all of us should start charging support for helping people who buy access to betas they shouldn't be using then are shocked when things don't work.

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

Thankfully you installed it on your dedicated testing device and you weren't running it on your day-to-day phone.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

my experiences with genius.. depends who ya get.

----------

stop.

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

It takes less than half an hour to do a backup and reinstall iOS 6. You're never guaranteed to get it fixed on iOS 7 unless it really refuses to boot.

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i was responding to your sarcasm. clearly you knew it was not the op's testing device.

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

<sigh> Thankfully in a matter of days none of this will matter.

16. Bear macrumors G3

True. Well at least until next year and iOS 8 DPs are available.

17. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess as most of you said lots of this matters based on who you are talking to.

If I restore to iOS6 will my notes come automatically if I setup as new phone, I know the numbers, and things will come.

So really I would lose pictures, and apps which I can redownload again, correct? Cause once I get the replacement I do not want to restore ios7 backup, I suppose its time I need a clean install, it feels good doing that close to launch :)

I have a 32gb iphone 5 and really want the new one. I am not due for an upgrade on AT&T, I think the next program is kind of stupid, whereas I might just pay full price and sell mine and it ends up being more or less similar to the upgrade cost without being on contract.

What are most of you doing?

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

As long as you have iCloud enabled, your notes will be backed up on iCloud along with contacts and such. As long as you have Photo Steam enabled you should have access to your phones which you can then save on your device.