iOS 7 = Facebook hacked??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prissy, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

So I updated to iOS7 yesterday and today I was on my phone using Safari and tried to "share" a website content (see pic below) from Safari using the Facebook icon. Then I automatically got notified that someone has logged in to my FB account in PA, USA and I live in NY.

Has anyone experienced this? IS this a bug or did I really got hacked?

Attached Files:

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

3. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Pennsylvania, and I live in New York. My FB was fine until I tried to share a web link through that FB icon in Safari (see picture).

Will anyone dare to test it out from their iOS7?

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I didn't see a location listed on your picture. I don't have iOS7 yet so I can't check that out, but just change your password if you haven't already.

5. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by location? I have already changed my password...

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

In your picture that you posted, I didn't see the notification that your stated, which would probably be helpful IDK. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just see the next couple of days if anything fishy is going on. Maybe the coordinates got mixed up or something. Do you live near the PA border? that could be something, IDK just throwing things out there.

7. Rigby macrumors 68040

It was probably just your own phone as it logged in. Facebook tries to guess the location of the client using the IP address, and that guess can very well be wrong, especially if you did that while on cellular data (in this case the IP address probably reflects the location of your provider's Internet gateway).

8. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought too. Here is what exactly happened:

1) tried to share a web page using safari to Facebook using the Facebook icon that Safari provided.

2) it prompted me to log-in Facebook under my phone setting. So I entered the correct name and password for Facebook.

3) notification come up saying someone has logged onto my Facebook from PA, USA. And suggested me to go change my password and such if I remember correctly.

4) then I thought I got hacked.

If I really didn't get hacked. This is a crazy glitch from either iOS 7 or Facebook.

9. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

The server of the website you're sharing is interfacing with your facebook, plus the internet network can be showing a location for a different state than you're in in actuality.

10. Rigby macrumors 68040

I'm not a Facebook expert, but could it simply have been a login notification for a new device as described here:

http://www.facebook.com/blog/blog.php?post=389991097130&_fb_noscript=1

I guess updating the OS could change the device identifier.

In any case, just take a look at your Facebook activity log and check if there was an extra login during the time in question.

11. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I really hope this is the case. I also hope it's not a new iOS glitch. :p

12. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

That doesn't even make sense, what would this glitch encompass? The iPhone somehow sending a spoofed IP Address to facebooks server? That's not even realistic from an infosec standpoint. Thats an exploit level entity (spoofing IP info), and if it happened by accident that would be laughable, yet harmless.

13. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually tried to look this up earlier before I made this thread. But under Security Settings-->Active Sessions, I can only see my home computer and my iPhone being used. But I do use facebook at work (NY) which is not showing in the Active Sessions list.

----------

:eek: I guess you are correct. Cheers :)

14. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816