iOS 7 hints at iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmhag, Jun 12, 2013.

1. gmhag macrumors regular

I know everyone has their theories and nobody actually knows what is coming but it's fun to speculate. And I also know that many of you are tired of new threads about the next phone that doesnt exist yet. Feel free to stop reading here and hit the back button on your browser.

Here are some things that jump out at me and make me think the next iPhone will be a new design.

- Apple went to all this trouble to focus on iOS design (the biggest iOS redesign since we first saw iOS on the first iphone), wouldnt it only make sense that they would also design new hardware to complement the new look of the software? It would be like Ford completely overhauling the interior of the new Mustang and leaving the exterior the exact same.

- On that same thought. If apple knows they are coming out with a 5S this year then a 6 next year, they could have easily given us all the new features of iOS7 this year and saved all of the new flat design elements for the iphone 6 next year.

- iOS 6 icons are curved the same as the curve of the iPhone 4 and 5 corners. Is the new curve of iOS 7 icons the new curve of the new iphone 6 that will match?

- During the keynote, Cook showed the video introducing iOS 7. The video started out with Ive talking about design and the emphasis that Apple puts into design. While he was talking at the very beginning, they showed several Apple devices highlighting their designs..... none of which was the iPhone. Seems odd that they wouldnt show the iphone's design while introducing iOS, right?

Has anyone spotted anything else that hints at a redesign?

2. henryonapple macrumors 6502

To be honest, I think Apple is running out of original ideas, so this iOS redesign was inevitable. I don't think it has any ties to a redesigned iPhone at all.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I have a theory that the future of the iPhone matches that of the iPod. It's planned obsolescence. Everything that Apple is building in iOS is based on creating a bridge towards the "next big thing" whatever that may be.

Personally, given how much emphasis has been placed on enlongating the screen, and pushing the iOS features to work on the vertical axis for same, I believe the iPhone's future lies with a wristwatch concept married to some advanced future piece of Airplay so you can "throw" your large-screen needs onto any available (and Apple-equipped) large horizontal display surface. Sort of like that scene from Iron Man where Tony Stark 'throws' his smart phone's screen onto several monitors in the room.

Monitors in the car, monitors in the office, monitors in the home, monitors in glasses, etc. I think the "included screen" concept is slated to die sometime soon(ish). Which is why I think Samsung and others are totally going in the wrong direction.

4. gmhag thread starter macrumors regular

Here is another one....

- All of the examples of iOS7 were shown on white iPhones. The iPhone 6 will be white with no black option?

5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Then why would they bother to make various aspects of the UI colored differently based on the color of your phone?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think you have it flipped. The iphone 5 was designed for ios7.

7. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

good interpretation, but sorry no, there won't be any redesign of the iPhone this year.

Apple kinda follows Intel tick tock scheme, as in :
    adding new features on the software = improve the hardware side with better processor, memory etc. ex : iOS 5 and iPhone 4S

adding new hardware features, redesign = improve the software responsiveness, better memory handling, etc. little to minimal features added.
    ex : iOS 6 and iPhone 5