iOS 7: Hipster color palette and hipster filters

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ThomasJL, Jun 15, 2013.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Is there anyone here besides me who really dislikes iOS 7's faux vintage color palette and faux vintage photo filters?

I'm not voicing an opinion for or against flat design. This is not about flat design versus skeuomorphism. What I am against is that the color palette that comprises the iOS 7 icons looks like someone took a screenshot of a normal iOS home screen and then uploaded it to Instagram. It's very hipster looking. Do we really need such faux retro crap?

In addition, why did Apple feel the need to include filters on the iOS 7 app? Filters have got to be the worst thing ever to happen to digital photography. Instead of seeing the most genuine reproduction of a real-life image that the iPhone's camera is capable of producing, millions of people will now destroy their photos' data by adding a faux vintage filter to their picture. Do we really need more of this already massive and tasteless hipster trend?

2. CanadaEh macrumors regular

3. danahn17 macrumors 6502

ehhhh... the icons/colors don't look vintage or hipster to me either. :confused:

4. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Dude, you have an option to not use filters! Use them only if you want to. Others may like them. What's wrong with options?

5. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Well, if Apple didn't include it, people were probably going to say ''Android has it, iOS doesn't, iOS sucks, Jony ive fails, Apple is gonna liquidate!''

But now, when Apple tries to satisfy the demands for users and adds it in, they say, ''What the heck I don't even need it ugh!''

:confused: The internet is so contradicting sometimes. So what exactly do you want?
    Better having a filter to play around with than not having one is my opinion.
    You can choose not to use the filters. Nobody is stopping you. Its not like Apple is permanently integrating filters into every photo you take. Its simply nice to have the option.

In my opinion, filters aren't necessary a BAD thing. The purpose of a photo is to show off beautiful photos of real life. If people thinks filters enhance the photo, why not? If filters are indeed such a bad idea, explain the millions of users on instagram. Therefore, filters aren't exactly a bad thing .

6. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I don't think filters the worst thing to digital photography
    I think filters add a mood. Like how every pro wedding and event photographers edit their photos and add their style onto the photos - adds mood, adds that emotion behind the sterile shot.
    Similar to how clubs crank up the bass in their sound system. Yes, it's technically not neutral... But that doesn't make it worse, in fact for the occasion, it's better
    Sure I think some of the filters are a bit over the top but I am not against it

7. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I do agree with what you last said. I find it ridiculous to add filters to every photo you take. The most irritating photos I find are food photos exaggerated by the colourful neon effects as though they are delicacies from heaven.

8. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Don't like the filters? Don't use them. A lot of people that have iPhones use them. Yes, they are gimmicky and played out but if you can't see why Apple would include them then you need to learn how to put yourself in other people's shoes.

People here can complain about anything. Go outside and have some fun.

9. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

Vintage isn't hipster unless you try to tell everyone that you own vintage things to show off.

The colours aren't really vintage, I'm not sure what you mean, all the icons are essentially the same colour as before but they're brighter, and the photo filters just make a photo look nicer for people that don't want to share to Instagram etc.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

…and can we please stop using "hipster" as a derogatory term?

11. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

12. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

hahaha. this.
    what a ridiculous discussion thread.
    even more ridiculous is that i find myself actually commenting.
    out.

13. sexiewasd macrumors regular

You win the thread. Best post that I've seen here by far.

14. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

You may have won the Internet for the day

15. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can live with most of what I saw. I just hate the music icon. It's bloody pink. The orange stuff inside the app kills me enough. I liked the previous blue, which is much more neutral. But it is in beta, so things can change.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Don't like the filters, don't use them but the color scheme is not hipsterish. Why do you care what people do with their own photos? You should try being less judgemental.

18. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Wheres the iconic starbucks cup to complete the hipster look?
    [​IMG]

19. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Hipsters don't drink that... The drink special, fair trade coffees from specialty coffee houses. It'll be either in a ceramic mug or thermal mug that is Eco friendly.

Starbucks is drunk by college kids or power CEOs on power business deals.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That is hilarious and is going to crack me up all day. Was that a Coors in the "before"? If so would have loved to see it replaced with a PBR.

21. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Lol yeah geez...duhh..

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

23. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Be happy - God gave you free will, and you're not compelled to be a hipster if you'd prefer not to. :p

Don't be seen inside, walking near or even living in the same town as a Starbucks store... or I'll call the hipster squad, and get them to find you :D

24. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many of the icons' colors are muted. Muted colors are faux retro and faux vintage, both of which are typical of hipsters' tastes.

25. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

On what planet are these colors "muted?" I'm colorblind and even I can tell they're bright:

[​IMG]