Ios 7 on ipad 3, anyone other ipad 3 users notice the choppiness?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by poplars, Sep 25, 2013.

1. poplars macrumors newbie

Im experiencing pretty significant choppiness using the multitasking function, going back to home screen, just lots of things in the ui dont respond as smoothly as ios 6.

I have done an erase all content and settings, though i backed up my data on icloud and restored it that way, so does that mess up the test?

I also was wondering if i should do a complete restore using itunes and my computer to actually rewrite the whole os, would that get rid of the choppiness.

Its hard for me to not jump on the whole ios 7 wasnt ready yet bandwagon when im experiencing this level of lag.

2. langers2010 macrumors member

Having exactly the same problem. Did a restore & set upas new and that hasn't resolved it. When you try to change wallpaper it completely freezes for ~10 seconds! In apps there's no change or lag so I'm hoping it's some UI bugs that can be ironed out otherwise I'm pretty annoyed about the upgrade.

3. poplars thread starter macrumors newbie

Cant wait for the next update... Id like ios to be snappy in all areas again instead of just /mostly/ snappy. Battery life appears to be significantly lower as well. The lack of blurs in major areas of the ui is something i find unacceptable...

If apple thought the ipad 3 couldnt handle one of the main aspects of the ui, the blur, how can they justify even allowing ipad 3 or ipad 2 users to upgrade to ios 7? Seems kind of deceptive to me, like a very profit based move. Especially the part where you cant go back to ios 6 even if you wanted to...

4. mgarc1125 macrumors newbie

Same issues here. Not only that but apps are crashing constantly, including Apple apps like Safari and Photos. Battery life has also taken a huge hit after the update.

5. AaronMT macrumors regular

AaronMT

Yes. It's fairly obvious that optimizations in performance throughout the OS were not idealized for the initial release on iPad devices. I am hoping that we'll see improvements in followup point-release releases.

6. vintimus macrumors regular

vintimus

Yea, I'm a little shocked that the rumors about the iPad release for iOS7 happening in October WEREN'T true. Could have spent more time baking in the oven.

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68030

crjackson2134

I upgraded my iPad4 and it's okay (but not great). I held back on my iPad3. I read up on everything before I upgraded anything. I have 3 iPhone 4S models, and held off on them until reading a lot of 50/50 posts. I decided to go to the store and see for myself how iOS7 performs on the 4S before deciding. I liked what I saw and did the upgrades on the phones. I see no degradation of speed on anything I use the 4S for. I'm now just waiting for them to optimize for iPads (hopefully iPad3 will be included).

8. poplars thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah id love some technical people to chime in here but im pretty sure the ipad 3 is definitely capable of handeling the blurs if they were properly optimized... Any devs agree with me here?

Lol and maybe instead of them releasing it in october, they will finaly patch it for the ipads in october? One can only hope....

9. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I find it a little choppy on my iPad 3, but not horribly so. Not as smooth as iOS 6 though, I agree there. While I have no inside information, I venturing to guess that the next couple of minor updates will include some performance/battery optimizations.

But, if you want some battery improvement now, turn off background multitasking. It's new in iOS 7 and, just like on Android, will impact the battery to an extent.

10. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Same here.

This is one of the Apple "please give us money for a new iPad4/5" bonus feature that wasn't covered in the keynote.

11. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Glad I stayed with the iPad 2. Can't wait to upgrade to the 5 next month.

12. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Safari lags and crashes to point of unusability

Especially when entering text in a Disqus thread, the text will lag so badly, drops letters, and then will just suddenly crash, with occasionally crashing ios7 itself and a return to the boot up .

They really do need to fix this asap. I can see now why they were talking about waiting til October for the iPad release and seeing how this works on my iPad 3 I am wondering why they didn't follow through on the delay...

13. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Exactly. I feel like we got the same shaft 1st gen users got with it's latest update.

14. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I remember reading in another thread that iOS 7 was not optimized for the iPad yet which makes sense with Apple pushing it for the iPhone.

I too have noticed it's not as fluid as iOS 6 was and I installed it twice.

The first time was as an upgrade and restore from backup. I was not happy with the results (slow, things not working, etc...).

I then went back to iOS 6 for a day and was happy. But I really wanted to try iOS 7 so I set it up as a new device and added back only a few apps. It seems to run better but it's still slower than iOS 6 was.

I was going to go back to 6.1.3 but waited to long so now I'm stuck with it and waiting for the next update.

I suspect the slowness has to do with all the animations and other fluff that I have no need for. But to be fair, almost every upgrade in an OS even on computers seems to require more processing power so I kind of expected it.

Regarding the delay when changing wallpaper, I believe that has to do with the OS setting it up to work as a dynamic wallpaper. I think that's the term Apple used for the effect of the icons floating over the wallpaper. I'm no expert though so I could be totally wrong :)

To speed things up try reducing the motion effect.
    Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce motion.

I have not noticed much of a change in battery life after I quit playing around with it and went back to using it as I normally would.

I have not upgraded my iPhone 4S and probably will not until I start reading a lot more positive comments. But crjackson's post above is encouraging. And I know the day will come that I'll have no choice but to upgrade the phone as more apps start requiring iOS 7.

Edit: I just checked my battery and it's still at 100% after not being used of three days with the WiFi left on.

Jon...

15. dave-tx macrumors member

I've found the "Music" app to range from choppy scrolling to completely unresponsive, where while playing music the screen will not respond to scroll up/down, and the graphical representation of the volume slider will not change even when the volume buttons change the volume.

Anyone else seeing sluggish performance with the Music app?

16. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

I haven't noticed 'a lot' of issues you like you described OP, but when trying to type immediately after the keyboard opens in the OS or in another app it does take a minute to respond.

17. poplars thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps a complete reinstall without backing up apps is necessary for me?

Also reduce motion is off, as well as background tasks.

You guys really haven't noticed the lag in screen rotations on home screen?

18. mlfarrell macrumors member

iOS 7 takes up considerably more RAM than its predecessor and I notice backround apps are being killed much more frequently. On my ipad 2, it barely can keep two apps open at a time and I find my safari tabs refreshing constantly. They probably made the call to trim as much as possible to combat this and I guess the blur layers were first on the chopping block. Though I just read that the ipad 4 has the same amount of ram as the 3, so maybe I'm wrong about this.

On the 5s however, everything runs really super smooth and responsive and I find that apps that I haven't pulled up in awhile are still in ram. This makes me optimistic about the next iPads.

19. poplars thread starter macrumors newbie

So are you saying there is a good chance we will see blurs in the future? Smoother response is a given, apple shouldn't neglect this...

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Yeah my Ipad 4 is a little choppy and the wallpaper issue is a nightmare.

Hopefully the problem will be resolved but I plan to upgrade to an Ipad 5 anyway.

21. mlfarrell macrumors member

I'd say its possible but not likely

It's possible that the GPU on the ipad 3 and below isn't fast though to keep the blur layers in memory and also not degrade system-wide opengl performance, which rightly-so would cause all game developers and gamers to scream bloody murder. In which case optimization is still possible and maybe forthcoming, though apple doesn't like to spend a lot of engineering effort on older devices

22. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

The 5s has the same amount of RAM as the iPad 3 and iPad 4. Which leads me to think its the GPU. I totally agree about the 5s still keeping lots of apps in memory as mine has performed incredible so far. My iPad 4 on the other hand is still a little choppy with animations. Not sure why they didn't totally optimize for it since the A6X is no slouch in the graphics department.

23. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

The iPad 3's GPU is too weak for its high resolution (iPad 4 GPU is a HUGE leap forward). Unfortunately iOS7 only exacerbates the situation and makes it more obvious.

24. crjackson2134 macrumors 68030

crjackson2134

Then they should have blacklisted iOS7 for the iPad3. It's annoying that part of my storage space is consumed with iOS7 download that I won't be installing.

25. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have it on my iPad 3 and haven't noticed any significant problems, seems a little slower which is most likely due to the animations, but otherwise it's fine.

But I also tend to not leave a lot of stuff open and running, at once. My OCD requires me to regularly close everything.