iOS 7 on iPhone 4 rocks!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kurso, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Kurso macrumors 6502

It is just as smooth as iOS 6 was. Not perfect (neither was 6) but I don't feel like I have taken a performance hit. If I didn't need more storage and a better camera (LTE is nice too) I might think about waiting for the iPhone 6.

I wonder how many people will feel the same way and actually wait.

2. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Glad to hear it works good on your iPhone 4 :)

Pretty amazing how long you can keep apple products alive and kickin'.

Can't wait to get my 5s soon so I can try it out as well!

Anything that you dislike about iOS 7 on the iPhone 4?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was a bit hesitant to upgrade since I wasn't sure how the performance would be, but after a few hours of it I agree with you, it works great on the 4.

5. Kurso thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, after installing iOS 7 beta 1 I was convinced Apple was crazy promising to support the iPhone 4. I feel more confident selling it for sure.

6. esskay macrumors 6502

I usually wait until at least the first bug release to upgrade on a major upgrade like this, but it's good to hear that it runs well on a 4. Like the OP I was hoping to wait for the 6 but might bite on the 5S...

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'd like to chime in on this. The iPhone 4 handles iOS 7 fairly well. Minus some trivial animation slowdowns and transition choppiness it keeps up.

8. hiren43 macrumors newbie

9. irDigital0l Guest

I agree with you.

iOS 7 has yet failed me on my iPhone 4.

Charged it to 100% around 4-5pm. Its been 5 hours and its down to 65%.

I have playing with it all day.

Very impressed.

10. hiren43 macrumors newbie

I'm so glad hearing that. I have issue on same topic, if you could reply.

issues-for-upgrading-iPhone-4-to-ios-7-?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639240

11. Maaz macrumors 6502a

i just installed it on my sisters phone and wow, very impressed, this old phone feels so new now.

12. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I'm glad that everyone that has the 4 or 4s is very satisfied with iOS 7. When I get home I will tried to download it again for the 3rd time. It was giving me some kind of error earlier this afternoon. I guess it was because so many people were downloading at the same time.

13. hiren43 macrumors newbie

14. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

It was clear the iphone 4 was never going to support all the new features if ios7 but what's there works well and there is little or no lag.

I'm pleasantly suprised how well an over three years old phone runs the latest OS.

15. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I've heard its slow as hell!

I'm so confused by how people can have such different experiences on the same devices.

Same with what I've read from iPads (though most seem to think its crap), and 4s/5 (generally good to great but not as strong a consensus as ipad crappiness)

16. seble macrumors 6502a

Tbh i disagree, whilst I don't thikn its 'slow as hell' its certainly slower then iOS 6. For me at least.

17. Adz76 macrumors member

Just got it installed on my 4 and it's looking fine, will need to play with it to see how the performance is on the hardware.

With regards to mixed reception on performance I'd bet that the amount of free space on the device will place a big part in how fast or slow the device will run.

Also the amount of apps and services that run in the background will also have an impact on this too, a fresh install to the device followed by adding content is really the best way to go IMO.

18. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

If you are trying to convince yourself that you don't need the 5S then good for you :) However for me.. I want it and will get it :)

19. alvarez16 macrumors member

I have to completely disagree with the OP. I installed iOS7 on my iPhone 4 and after playing around for an hour or so, immediately reverted back to iOS6.

It was extremely laggy on my phone, my battery got down to 75% after about an hour of use, and my GPS could not locate me accurately.

Now, I'm not saying this is the case for others, simply sharing my experience with iOS7 so far.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I was shocked that it runs as smooth as it does on my ipad 2. Of course there are a few hiccups, but nothing too bad.

21. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I had the same experience yesterday after updating the OS... however this morning ( after it charged all night ) since I have been playing with it my battery consumption seems to have improved over the iOS6. Perhaps you should give it more than a day? or maybe not..

Camera takes pictures super fast... much much much faster than before...

One thing I noticed is that on the iP4 the icons do not move/follow like they do on the 4S and up models...

22. in4fun macrumors regular

does anyone have a smooth experience on an 8 GB model?

Maybe the amount of storage has something to do with lags in ios 7?

23. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I have 16 GB and the iOs makes it very buggy. After changing the wallpaper it felt like the iPad had hung with no reaction for some time. same with e-mail system, it takes a while for newly read e-mail to register that it is read and not new.

24. apple-ette macrumors member

I have 16 gb model, and it works like dream. It really is like having a new phone.

25. pojo1806 macrumors 68000