iOS 7 revealed bad screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mzd, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mzd macrumors 6502a

so i just finished the update to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and all the clean white backgrounds have revealed a huge pink tinged area on my screen. it is visible in any app with a white bg (calendar, notes, reminders, etc). only the outer 1/4 inch surrounding my screen is actually white. the inner 90% of the screen is very noticeably pink.
    just curious if anyone else has noticed screen problems with all the stark white in iOS 7?
    i'm going to set up a Genius appt (fortunately i have like 2 days remaining on my warranty!)

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Nope no problems on any of my iPhones or iPads

3. mzd thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

No problems at all, go to the apple store if you have apple care :confused:

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

My previous iPhone 5 had the same issue. Went to the Apple store and they claimed the screen protector I had on my phone caused the issue. Needless to say they went ahead and replaced the display.

*side note* Noticed it on my phone a few weeks ago. Got it originally in April.

6. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Ha thats a new one. did the screen protector release toxins that degraded the screen.. :rolleyes:

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I wanted to laugh in the Genius' face. He was like, "we see this all the time now."

8. mzd, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

mzd thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, well, the genius i got tried to convince me this is an iOS 7 "feature"! only a couple iPhones had iOS 7 on them, one another genius had, mine, and i guess a few in back. since all those iPhones had the same issue with the pink hue, they decided it was an iOS 7 feature to help draw your eye into the center of the screen. that is ridiculous and i told them so, but they wouldn't budge. :(
    i told them if it was a "feature" or even if it was that common, it would have come up in all of the reviews of iOS 7 that are out now. i showed them the thread linked earlier where people had the same problem back in May.
    not sure what my next step is...

[​IMG]

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I would call up AppleCare and get your case id escalated.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

Probably should put quotes around "genius" too then. It's not screen-protector related and it is not iOS 7 related. We are rocking AC+ on our phones and it's not bad enough yet for me to bother with a warranty claim, but I agree with the last poster. Best to open an incident online before your warranty expires. Unless Apple claims discoloration of the screen over time isn't a defect... I don't know what to say if that's the case.

11. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

haha almost fell out of my chair. I think that is their favorite line..

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Ekkk, that reminds me of screen burn in

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Just completely idiotic. At least I got the display on my iPhone replaced.

14. weesy macrumors regular

no pink tinge here, but it has revealed a few tiny black dots that are now noticeable. (and no its not from the screen being dirty i've cleaned and cleaned its under the glass) and my phone is only a week old!

15. mzd thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, i contacted Apple support online and explained the problem and showed them the photo above. they were very helpful and readily agreed it was a hardware problem and are sending me a replacement.

16. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Good to hear. They must now be hiring idiots to work in store.

17. mzd thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, to be fair, my visit to that Apple store before this screen issue went well.
    i was getting very low battery life (still on iOS6) and the genius was very knowledgeable and helpful. he went through the battery diagnostics with me, and showed me some location services that were likely draining my battery. i turned off a handful that didn't need to be on, did a reset and that really did fix the problem. i had much better battery life afterwards. i had done a restore prior to the visit, but since i restored from backup, all the problem settings still carried over.
    so it really just depends on who you get.