iOS 7 Safari fullscreen—immense flaw

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Aug 3, 2013.

1. cleo1, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

cleo1 macrumors regular

Only activated by vertical scroll, Safari completely ignores horizontal scroll or the more elegant and increasingly fashionable horizontal swipe, even though these functions indicate "more than one page of content" which apparently is the single criterion for switching to fullscreen indicated by vertical scrolling. :(

Case in point: Google Image Browser, landscape mode

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I understand the part about "flaw", but not the part about "immense".

Most websites are vertical scrolling.

3. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

This is truly an immense flaw and I can't believe Apple released a beta with this problem!

/s

This could be something they address in another beta or future update.

4. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

5. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The problem with that example is that the horizontal nature of the page is "fake". It's done with JavaScript and the page isn't actually wider than the screen. So how is Safari supposed to detect umpteen different ways you can do that in JavaScript?

Note this has the same problem as a page that does the same trick, but vertically. It isn't restricted to horizontal.

6. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Good question. I am intimitely familar with the umpteen ways 'fake scrolling' can be done with JavaScript, and most of those ways (when done properly) share a good deal of code. It would not be difficult to tell Safari to use more than one tag as a cue. True, there are some websites where the creator used some truly novel means to perform a common action, but these are the minority.

----------

OK, so you caught me resorting to hyperbole in my tagline, yet you fell for the click-bait and commented on it! Aren't you enabling my bad behavior?

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Except that looking for "cues" in the script or HTML is simply bad engineering, not to mention fragile. You are tying your browser implementation to someone's scripting behavior in an undocumented way that restricts web developers if they don't want to break that behavior. It pretty much sucks for the browser developer and the web developer.

From my perspective, the browser shouldn't get too entangled with how the canvas is being drawn beyond offering up the language/API to do so. Let alone poking around analyzing what is being done by the page.

It'd be better if the behavior could be made more consistent without tying it to any scrolling behavior.

8. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm with you—perhaps I'd even take it further and conclude that any benefit obtained by the use of 'smart' fullscreen mode is outweighed by the impracticality of implementation. At least for now.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes, it's out job to police you from making 14 threads in 2 weeks about iOS7. Or you could use common sense and self control and not do it.

10. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

Look at the quality, not the quantity.

11. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

12. matty.p macrumors 6502

You can also just tap the top part of the page without scrolling and the controls come back in.

13. Alterion macrumors newbie

They spent so much time flattening it with a hammer that it doesn't scroll right.