iOS 8.1, 8.2 or 8.3 — which has better battery life?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by I am Jack's account, Jun 21, 2015.

1. I am Jack's account macrumors member

I am Jack's account

I've purchased an iPad Air 2 last week and it came with iOS 8.1.3. I haven't updated to iOS 8.3 yet because based on most of what I read online, it's drains the battery a lot. Since the last full charge it lasted less than 8 hours! And I do not listen to music or watch videos on it. I only use iBook, google something every once in awhile and check my emails occasionally. I'm pretty frustrated and I'm almost returning it.

I'd love to know about your guy's experiences. Should I update to iOS 8.3? I'm considering installing iOS 9 on the iPad Air 2 because of the great results I'm witnessing after installing the Beta on my iPad 4, but then again, both my iPad 4s have always been great like that, the one still running iOS 6 is THE best. I've only spent five days with the Air and I wonder if it's an iOS problem or the device that is a piec of sh*t!

I deeply appreciate any input.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Same battery on any of he versions really with a number of devices I deal with daily. But everyone is going to have a different story really, and none of those will really specifically apply to you as your experience will be specific to your devices (it might end up being similar to that of various others, but there's really no way to really know ahead of time).

3. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

I've not noticed any difference going to 8.3.. And iOS9 is still a very early beta, if you're that concerned about battery life don't put that on just yet

4. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

8.3 was fine on my Air. (running 8.4 beta at the moment) 8 hours is not a bad number and it seems to get better over time. I charge mine at night and never have an issue with enough battery for the day.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

You will be using it more than you think. Everybody does when they have a new toy.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

That has no effect on usage time. If you play with it twice as much and in drains in half the time, the usage times will be the same providing you use the same apps etc.

In answer to the OP, I found 8.1.1 and prior to give much better battery life on my 6+ than 8.2 and 8.3. An extra hour and some of usage time.
    Sadly anything before 8.3 was also an absolute dog so I *had* to upgrade. 8.3 plain runs better.