Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Beats Music CEO and current Apple Music senior director Ian Rogers made a brief blog post yesterday summarizing some of his background in music leading up to this week's debut of Apple Music while also revealing Apple's launch schedule for iOS 8.4 and the new Beats 1 radio station.

According to Rogers, iOS 8.4 will go live at 8 AM Pacific this Tuesday, two hours earlier than Apple's usual iOS update release window. Beats 1 will kick off programming an hour later, offering users around the world a 24/7 streaming music station led by former BBC DJ Zane Lowe and featuring a mixture of interviews and music sets from DJs interspersed with programming blocks from celebrities such as Elton John, Dr. Dre, Pharrell, and Drake.
Tuesday morning we'll be unveiling the next chapter. Please make a note to upgrade to iOS 8.4 at 8am PT Tuesday, June 30th and listen to the first Beats 1 broadcast at 9am PT. Here's a Facebook invite to make it easy for you to say yes, you'll be there, and invite all your friends. See you there.
Aside from Beats 1, which is free to all users signed in with an Apple ID, Apple Music also includes a paid streaming component priced at $9.99 per month for a single user or $14.99 for a family of up to six people. Subscribers will have streaming access to the full Apple Music catalog of over 30 million tracks, with Apple offering a three-month free trial to give users an extended opportunity to test out the new service.

Update: In a series of responses on Twitter, Eddy Cue has confirmed Apple will be releasing a new seed of iOS 9 to enable Apple Music for users on that version, as well as Apple's plans to increase the current 25,000-track limit for iTunes Match (and thus Apple Music's scan/match/upload service) to 100,000 with the launch of iOS 9.

Update 2: Rogers has removed mention of the specific timing for the launch from his blog post, but a Tweet by Rogers yesterday encouraging a user to upgrade at 8:00 AM ahead of Zane Lowe's kickoff of Beats 1 at 9:00 AM remains.

Article Link: iOS 8.4 Launching at 8 AM Pacific Tuesday, Beats 1 Goes Live at 9 AM [Updated]

Reactions: Jstuts5797

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
What happens if I live in the U.S. and my parents live in Canada? Can we share an family plan? What if I sign up for trial and want to join the family later?

Reactions: Yumbo

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What happens if I live in the U.S. and my parents live in Canada? Can we share an family plan? What if I sign up for trial and want to join the family later?

For your family sharing question, see this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6549041 and as for free trial, it's 3 months, you'll have time to change it to family. Maybe you'll have to cancel and re-join family, or maybe it can just be done, not seen any clarification yet.

Reactions: xerexes1

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if

It works exactly the same as Family Sharing in iOS. You can't share between countries because you have to share the same payment details which obviously aren't eligible in different countries' iTunes stores.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
What about people on ios 9?

I wonder if there will be an update for the current iOS 9 beta

If you can see the Beats1 demo in the Music app, then, presumably, you will get it. In 8.4 beta, you can see this, the actual Apple Music/Beats1 is a behind the scenes switch to enable it in 8.4, I would assume 9 would be the same

Edit: See this form Eddie Cue
cue
@lokithorrrrr a new iOS 9 seed will support Apple Music
27/06/2015, 04:12
https://twitter.com/cue/status/614632453542555648

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And there's this from Eddy Cue:

mkc6t5.jpg

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
The timeline seems poor at best. With a single hour for people to update to 8.4, that seems far too short. What is more likely to result is that many will want to try something that is not there, and be turned off by the lack of results.

Probably need at least a day to get phones up to 8.4.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
iOS 9 new update as well? That'd be nice. Unless they're turning something on the server side.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
And even if its not at least we can enjoy Beats 1 free with a U.S Apple id.... Its how i current listen to iTunes Radio anyway..

I just know Apple will put a "must have valid U.S CC" to foil us like they do with Match :(

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
Still neither date nor prize are available on Apple web sites outside US. Probably, we'll only know on Tuesday whether the launch is 100% global (same date, same plans, same content) or not...

Yes! That's a really good point, I'll be so happy if Apple could actually do a proper currency conversion instead of sticking to £9.99 a month in my country like every other service which is a rip off as it's the same as $15.75 a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.