Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I'm not experiencing any wifi problems, but I am experiencing less problems since I backed up and did a fresh install. I also gained over a gigabyte of "other" space.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
I had this issue on my 5s, gone back to iOS 7 for now, also had it in beta 5, I assume they didn't fix it.

Adam.

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
I've been having problems with wifi stalling on my iPad Air since beta 2 where I either have to turn the wifi off and on or forget the network and reconnect. I haven't installed the GM on my iPad yet, but I'll report back when I do.

Lord Egregious

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Both my personal iPad Air and a friend's iPad Air with cellular are having problems getting anything from 5 GHz bands. Sometimes you can connect and it'll work for a couple minutes and then quit and sometimes it doesn't work right off the bat. Meanwhile the 2.4 GHz band on the same routers work fine.

I was excited for iOS 8 because my iPad had this thing where it would lose connection and i'd have to turn wifi on and off to get it back but this is way worse. Going to be a bad day Wednesday for people who have to rely on 5 GHz to get a good signal in congestion or don't know what the problem is at all.

j0han

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
Sweden
Same here, major issues with 5GHZ. And sometimes with 2.4GHZ. But i'll guess a 8.0.1 will be applied right after 8.0 gets released.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have had serious issues (major slowdowns and drops) with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on my 5S. Have the latest developer beta. I've yet to find any reliable fix; resetting network settings does nothing to aid the situation.

LongZheng

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Noticed WiFi issues ever since iOS 8 beta 4. Reset all and restored after GM but still noticing issues. I usually have to toggle Airplane mode on and off and it will fix itself.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The real question that needs to be asked is this:

Why does Apple have such an issue with Wi-Fi? New hardware & new software is always plagued with Wi-Fi issues. Why can't Apple capture these problems in testing and resolve them before releasing the software?!

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
iPhone 5S + AirPort Extreme

Wi-Fi would randomly disappear for a couple of seconds then reconnect itself.

The airport operates dual band 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz under same SSID.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm having major issues with my 5S and wifi also after upgrading to iOS8. Sometimes I can't load webpages, apps saying cannot obtain connection such as Mint, and some apps just not refreshing the pages such as Instagram.

This only started with iOS8 and happening with both 2.4 and 5 GHz. If things get stuck, I can turn wifi off and back on and things work again but happens every 20-30 minutes to me. No other devices affected. Very annoying

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
My iPhone 5 and iPad Air, both running iOS 8, have both been absolutely rock-solid with 5Ghz wireless since their upgrade.

I'd even say Wifi performance is better - I'm getting much less drops of signal as I move around my garden, for example, than I used to, it now doesn't drop at all (garden is about 40 yards long) whereas before if I walked to the top, I'd lose Wifi.

Note though I am using a combination of Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express, if that has anything to do with it!

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Had the same issue, shut down the 5ghz wifi option on the router and now things are more stable. 5ghz is the problem sadly.

cloporte

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Same issue on brand new Iphone 6

I have exactly the same issue,
and it's only since yesterday in fact since i have my iphone 6
it happened 2 times in less then 5 hours
i'm losing the wifi and if i want to see the access point i can't see any of them
on my phone 6 i need to reboot to be able of seeing them and reconnect .

Help !

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Just happend to me. Picked up my one day old iPhone 6 and wasn't on wifi. My phone wouldn't even detect wifi. I had to reset it.

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
Me too. If I spend some time away from the house when I come back I have to power down and back up before it see the wifi - even when the damn phone is just 6 feet from the wifi router. It's an iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb.

cloporte

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Yep exactly the same for me

when going out of my house and coming back,
the only solution is to reboot to get wifi back !

Reboot fix that reminds me of a microsoft product ...

dberezin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
I also saw the same issue when I updated my iPad mini retina to iOS 8 GM last week. Was connected to my 5ghz band but no traffic was going through. Switching back to 2.4 ghz worked fine. I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk.

Just got the iPhone 6 and the same thing is happening. My iPad was working fine with iOS 7. Definitely seems to be an OS issue with 5ghz band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.