Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Not feeling the notification banner in the GM build in iOS 8, it sits there idling too long now.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Yes I know that, Apple wants use to interact with them more and that tap at the bottom is representing to pull down or flick up.

The idle time is just too long, double of the previous time is more than enough time to interact or leave it to retract back.

There's gonna be a lot of double tapping Touch ID for readability on the new iPhones to get that screen shifted down for the Notification Banners.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Yes I know that, Apple wants use to interact with them more and that tap at the bottom is representing to pull down or flick up.

The idle time is just too long, double of the previous time is more than enough time to interact or leave it to retract back.

There's gonna be a lot of double tapping Touch ID for readability on the new iPhones to get that screen shifted down for the Notification Banners.

I am not noticing any timing change. If you try to interact with a banner that doesn't support actionable notifications, I notice it stays there until I flick it up

chugg

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
It only stays there if you pull down on it. Otherwise, it seems about the same as iOS 7 to me.

Jack25

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Not sure if it's an iOS problem or a what's app problem, but I can't flick the notification up when it comes through. So it stays there for about 5-6 seconds unless I click on it to go into the app, something I don't always want to do.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Using my watch and texting myself (hehe) it's 6-7 seconds on my iPhone 5 iOS 8 GM.

If someone on 7.1.2 could give a timing.

I personally think its a bit long but can't tell you if it's longer. 4 seconds would be better imo.

P.s. Dismissing isn't always easy eg when playing a game you have to concentrate on. Idea of banners was to be non intrusive. iOS 7 already made the banners bigger and more intrusive. They shouldn't hang around too long.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Ive been using it since the beta was developer released and I haven't got a clue what you guys are on about. I've never noticed anything "weird"

Is a particular notification or does it do it for all notifications? Did you restart following the update?

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Found the answer, just figured it all out and there's a reason behind it all.

1 - If you're on the home screen, setttings or any 1st party app, the idle time is LONG.

2 - If you're in a 3rd party app, the idle time is back to iOS 7.

Reason: Apple knows if you're in a 3rd party app, you must be doing something or looking for something that requires your attention to be focused on whatever you're doing.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
"That's not how it works.

Clean Install, or don't post.

Wait for 3rd party Apps to be updated."

LOL x 1000 - The typical MacRumors know it all reply, but doesn't understand what's going on.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
"That's not how it works.

Clean Install, or don't post.

Wait for 3rd party Apps to be updated."

LOL x 1000 - The typical MacRumors know it all reply, but doesn't understand what's going on.

I do understand what's going on. Your install is wonky. Do it right, or don't come here and complain.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I do understand what's going on. Your install is wonky. Do it right, or don't come here and complain.

It's always a clean install fool, who in their right minds will "update" or even sync a back up from a public or beta with a major updated ver of iOS? Foolish assumption once again.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

He's stating he is also encountering a problem, which isn't uncommon obviously. No need to tell him to go away. A forum is for helping people.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
It's always a clean install fool, who in their right minds will "update" or even sync a back up from a public or beta with a major updated ver of iOS? Foolish assumption once again.

Um, many people do that, you know.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iOS 7's banner for messages was around 1-2 secs of idle time.
They were always longer for me, at least around 5 seconds or so (never really timed them, but certainly more than 1, 2, or 3 seconds, which is fairly short).

----------

Found the answer, just figured it all out and there's a reason behind it all.

1 - If you're on the home screen, setttings or any 1st party app, the idle time is LONG.

2 - If you're in a 3rd party app, the idle time is back to iOS 7.

Reason: Apple knows if you're in a 3rd party app, you must be doing something or looking for something that requires your attention to be focused on whatever you're doing.
Just tried it out using Facebook Messenger notifications, and no matter where I was (home screen, Apple 1st party app, 3rd party app like Twitter or a traffic app or something else), each time the banner notification stayed close to 7 seconds. So it seems consistent everywhere and pretty much the same as I recall it being in iOS 7.

MacAPOL

macrumors member
May 11, 2012
I dont know.

How old are you? Being in this forum let me think that sometimes fandroids are right. A large amount of apple fans are like blinded and defend the company as the perfect paradise.

I did a fresh install and have the same issue, also bad battery life and iMessage crashes sometimes.

So, shut up or make some constructive comments

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
How old are you? Being in this forum let me think that sometimes fandroids are right. A large amount of apple fans are like blinded and defend the company as the perfect paradise.

I did a fresh install and have the same issue, also bad battery life and iMessage crashes sometimes.

So, shut up or make some constructive comments

Heres a constructive comment:

1. Clean install does not equal restoring from back up.
2. Installing the right build for your device helps.
3. If you ever, at any point, have unnaturally bad battery life after following 1 and 2.... You're lying.

I know troubleshooting, I do it for a living, and Im familiar with people lying about what they did hoping for an answer they won't otherwise get from people who pay no mind to those who don't troubleshoot on their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.