Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well wasn't that a foregone conclusion that Apple would bring out a 9.3.4 update to stop people jailbreaking. I actually predicted this would happen sooner or later as Apple seem to hate people jailbreaking iOS. If Apple were to make iOS less restricted then there would be no need for jailbreaking in the first place. I'm glad I updated to 9.3.3 when I did.
Apple wants to fix security issues sooner rather than later, which seems like a fairly rational thing. There have also been times where jailbreaks would be out and a number of subsequent iOS updates wouldn't patch anything that would stop them.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There have also been times where jailbreaks would be out and a number of subsequent iOS updates wouldn't patch anything that would stop them.

I think you would have to point to ios7 days for you to assert that Apple was late to patch a JB exploit.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think you would have to point to ios7 days for you to assert that Apple was late to patch a JB exploit.
So it has happened. But the fact that they deal with security issues faster rather than slowe isn't exactly a bad thing.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Nice try but that is not a feature at all.
It's a big draw back to have to keep having to run the jb program if you ever turn off the phone.
Oh, the humanity! 30 long seconds out of my life on those rare times I actually NEED to reboot.

This jailbreak sucks! Sucks, I tell ya!...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Oh, the humanity! 30 long seconds out of my life on those rare times I actually NEED to reboot.

This jailbreak sucks! Sucks, I tell ya!...

It doesn't suck, it is what is available to many so they gotta deal with it if they want to be JB.
But let's not get crazy and call it a feature because it's not. It's a limitation.
Having to deal with certificates that might expire within a week or who knows when and redoing the JB by plugging it into a computer in some cases or running each time your phone turns off is not a feature.
I would never advise anyone to leave a true untethered JB to go up to this. Especially not ones that are on JB 9.0.2 since there isn't any benefit besides drawbacks.
It's like trading in your new BMW for an old Buick that you have to fix every week:D

Reactions: eyoungren

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Sorry man, I've jailbreaking since my original 4GB iPhone using Apptap on OS 1.0.2, and I have to say this is the by far best JB experience ever. And anyone already jailbroken on any version of 9.xx has (had, if the signing window has indeed closed) little to lose by upgrading and jailbreaking on 9.3.3. Worst case they might have to wait a couple months for a untethered JB on IOS 10.xx.
Cry me a river!

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry man, as I've jailbreaking since my original 4GB iPhone using Apptap on OS 1.0.2, I have to say this is the by far best JB experience ever. And anyone already jailbroken on any version of 9.xx has (had) little to lose by upgrading and jailbreaking on 9.3.3. Worst case they might have to wait a couple months for a JB on IOS 10.xx.
Cry me a river!

Judging by your posts and questions doesn't seem like you been JB much but glad you're enjoying it.
Apple put in lots of time, effort and betas into ios 9.3.3 so know that any stability improvements are not an effect of the JB itself.
I have nothing to cry about, I'm happy with my solid untethered JB but let's not get crazy and over exaggerate just because you been on stock firmware for over 9 months this is not the holy grail of JB's or the best JB experience. It's just a semi tethered JB with many limitations and hoops to jump through, that's all.
You want to talk about solid and pain free JB's lets remember jailbreakme version 1 in 2007 for ios 1.1.1 or jailbreakme.com versions 2 and version 3 by Comex using a pdf vulnerability that JB over 2 million devices with it and even Spirit JB. Blackra1n JB and carrier unlock combo and The Limera1n bootrom exploit by Geohot. Those were some masterpieces of the community and the good old days if you can really recognize and appreciate good coding IMO:)

Last edited:

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
over exaggerate

Whatever you say, LOL

And please expound on the "many limitations and hoops to jump through" with this jailbreak.

As I'm apparently not nearly as evolved on the JB scene as you, I must have missed something.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Whatever you say, LOL

That is all you took away from my post or you just dont have the knowledge to respond any further ;)
Keep hitting that JB button:D
[doublepost=1470457837][/doublepost]
And please expound on the "many limitations and hoops to jump through".

As I'm apparently not nearly as evolved on the JB scene as you, I must have missed something.

Having to deal with installing questionable certificates on your device.
Having to disable 2 step verification on your device.
Having to give them your icloud login and password.
Having to deal with certificates expiring every 7 days.
Some having to deal with certificates expiring in a year.
Some having to deal with having to use the computer JB program to JB each time their phone turns off.
Having to deal with rejailbreaking every time your device turns off.
3rd party questionable appstore 25PP installed with the chinese version.
Some having to deal with their accounts compromised by chinese hackers.
And some other questionable things that I would rather not get into.
How's that for getting evolved a little further in the scene? ;)

I firmly believe that those with an untethered jailbreak on iOS 9.0-9.0.2 should stay where they are. I think the untethered jailbreak is a very valuable jailbreak and isn’t worth giving up for something like this.

On the other hand, if you have no jailbreak at all, then a semi-untethered jailbreak is always better than no jailbreak, so if you fall under this distinction, then I say go for it!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Sorry man, I've jailbreaking since my original 4GB iPhone using Apptap on OS 1.0.2, and I have to say this is the by far best JB experience ever. And anyone already jailbroken on any version of 9.xx has (had, if the signing window has indeed closed) little to lose by upgrading and jailbreaking on 9.3.3. Worst case they might have to wait a couple months for a untethered JB on IOS 10.xx.
Cry me a river!

Jail breaker since OG day one out of the box too :)

Price drop to 399 solidified it for me

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I lost my untethered JB when trying to apply ApplePay when it first became available.

For some stupid reason I gave priority to ApplePay over my JB. Omg what a foolish decision. :(

Anyway so like many I've been watching and waiting in the wings for a new JB.

I JB via the Safari method with the 1 year certificate when it first hit and am just happy to have my tweaks back. It is stable IMO but no more stable than my previous untethered version.

I've reapplied the JB twice via the Pangu App after restarting my iPhone and as mentioned it does take seconds. I agree with @Applejuiced thats it's not a 'feature' but on the flip side it can act as a diagnostic tool.

i.e. If after removing a possible rogue tweak the iPhone isn't behaving then restart to stock to see if the issue remains.

I remember speaking with @Applejuiced when I first came back to jailbreaking about certain elements and his advice helped me take that step back into it.

This guy has probably forgotten more than I personally know about JB'ing!

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
That is all you took away from my post or you just dont have the knowledge to respond any further ;)
Keep hitting that JB button:D
[doublepost=1470457837][/doublepost]

Having to deal with installing questionable certificates on your device.
Having to disable 2 step verification on your device.
Having to give them your icloud login and password.
Having to deal with certificates expiring every 7 days.
Some having to deal with certificates expiring in a year.
Some having to deal with having to use the computer JB program to JB each time their phone turns off.
Having to deal with rejailbreaking every time your device turns off.
3rd party questionable appstore 25PP installed with the chinese version.
Some having to deal with their accounts compromised by chinese hackers.
And some other questionable things that I would rather not get into.
How's that for getting evolved a little further in the scene? ;)

I firmly believe that those with an untethered jailbreak on iOS 9.0-9.0.2 should stay where they are. I think the untethered jailbreak is a very valuable jailbreak and isn’t worth giving up for something like this.

On the other hand, if you have no jailbreak at all, then a semi-untethered jailbreak is always better than no jailbreak, so if you fall under this distinction, then I say go for it!

Play nice guys.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Play nice guys.
I must admit to PWI last night, but even sober I don't respond well to condescending know-it-alls.

If anyone really believes they're better off on a 9.0.x JB vs IOS 9.3.3 with its refinements, so be it.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Honestly, my iPad Min 2, 5S and 6+ will be staying on 9.0.2. I have no problem with that. They are older devices and I have my 6S and 6S+ on 9.3.3 and jailbroken. Apps will continue to support 9.0.2 for a very very long time.

There is nothing wrong with anyone choosing to stay on whatever firmware they want to stay on.

Reactions: max2

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Honestly, my iPad Min 2, 5S and 6+ will be staying on 9.0.2. I have no problem with that. They are older devices and I have my 6S and 6S+ on 9.3.3 and jailbroken. Apps will continue to support 9.0.2 for a very very long time.

There is nothing wrong with anyone choosing to stay on whatever firmware they want to stay on.

I concur largely w/Applejuiced...if you're solid with 9.0.2 JB it's debatable whether it's good to move to the 9.3.3 JB...all a moot point now.

A lot of folks seem to believe that an ios10 JB will drop...I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Right, iOS 9.3.3 installed and Apple signed. Phew!

Do I have all the time in the world now to Jailbreak? I want to run an unjailbroken phone for a few days and then Jailbreak.
[doublepost=1470510245][/doublepost]
Ugh. I think 9.3.3 isn't being signed anymore.

They must be as I just went from 9.02 to 9.3.3 5 minutes ago.

Now all I need to do is Jailbreak.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
A friend was able to do OTA updates to 9.3.3 on his iPad and iPhone yesterday afternoon (Friday).

Not sure what's up with that, as it was reported that 9.3.4 was released on Thursday.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Right, iOS 9.3.3 installed and Apple signed. Phew!

Do I have all the time in the world now to Jailbreak? I want to run an unjailbroken phone for a few days and then Jailbreak.
[doublepost=1470510245][/doublepost]

Now all I need to do is Jailbreak.

Theoretically speaking, you should be able jailbreak ioS 9.3.3 anytime you want. I say theoretically because there are some instances where the jailbreak might fail and force to restore (although, I don't think that's been an issue with the jailbreaks on iOS 9)

Reactions: scouser75

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
If I want to update to 9.3.3 and use this JB I have to disable two step verification?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.