Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite its much-publicized problems, Apple's iOS 9.3 is showing a lower crash rate than all active iOS builds, an app analytics firm reported yesterday (via AppleInsider).

According to California-based Apteligent, over the past eight days iOS 9.3 has had a crash rate of only 2.2 percent, making it the most stable iOS release in circulation. Apple's new iOS also beat the latest version of Android, which had a reported crash rate of approximately 2.6 percent.

16384-13148-iOS-93-l.jpg

By contrast, iOS 8, iOS 9 and iOS 9.2 have all fared worse over the month of March, with crash rates of 3.2 percent meaning their users were more likely to experience problems than early adopters of Apple's latest mobile OS iteration.

The study will come as a surprise to many, following media coverage of issues reported by a number of iOS users. Apple is aware of an issue causing web links to crash in multiple iOS apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages, and says it is working on a fix that will be released "soon" via a software update.

The bug was the second major bug to affect iOS 9.3 users. The first rendered some older devices unusable due to a problem with Activation Lock, which required customers to enter the information originally used to set up their iPhone or iPad. Apple released a new version of iOS 9.3 on Monday to fix the issue.

Article Link: iOS 9.3 'Most Stable New Release in Years', Says Analytics Firm

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
It's interesting how a major company can just toss out a software update to millions of users and then cross their fingers in hopes everything works out. Makes me confident as a CS student that my job won't be as hard as I imagined XD

EDIT: Okay people it was a jooooooke. Obviously I understand the complex process of rolling out even a moderate update of a major OS to a wide audience. I love Apple, as you can probably tell by my Jony Ive avatar, and this was a bit of a rag on all major tech companies and the routine they go through for their updates.

Last edited:

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH

Despite its much-publicized problems, Apple's iOS 9.3 is showing a lower crash rate than all active iOS builds, an app analytics firm reported yesterday (via AppleInsider).

According to California-based Apteligent, over the past eight days iOS 9.3 has had a crash rate of only 2.2 percent, making it the most stable iOS release in circulation. Apple's new iOS also beat the latest version of Android, which had a reported crash rate of approximately 2.6 percent.

16384-13148-iOS-93-l.jpg

By contrast, iOS 8, iOS 9 and iOS 9.2 have all fared worse over the month of March, with crash rates of 3.2 percent meaning their users were more likely to experience problems than early adopters of Apple's latest mobile OS iteration.

The study will come as a surprise to many, following media coverage of issues reported by a number of iOS users. Apple is aware of an issue causing web links to crash in multiple iOS apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages, and says it is working on a fix that will be released "soon" via a software update.

The bug was the second major bug to affect iOS 9.3 users. The first rendered some older devices unusable due to a problem with Activation Lock, which required customers to enter the information originally used to set up their iPhone or iPad. Apple released a new version of iOS 9.3 on Monday to fix the issue.

This is complete bull. If you look at the Apple website support forums he'll see that there's over 80,000 people viewing that hyperlink issue thread. Not only did this break the older versions of the iPad the new versions of iOS users are now experiencing large numbers of people that have there OS devices freezing when they touch hyperlink in any app including Safari Chrome mail and More. Apples made no real official comment in regards to this other than

16384-13148-iOS-93-l.jpg

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Is it just me or will iOS 10 be a no-show at WWDC this year? I'd figure the features in 9.3 would've been great key features if they held them out for just a few more months.

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
*knock on wood* I haven't had any problems so far. And, interesting statistics, thats for sure.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I have no problem with 9.3 at all on my iPhone 6s Plus.
But since I updated 10.11.4, my MBPr had random freeze for 3 times already.

tjskywasher

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
It's interesting how a major company can just toss out a software update to millions of users and then cross their fingers in hopes everything works out. Makes me confident as a CS student that my job won't be as hard as I imagined XD

What a stupid comment. Apple has hundreds of millions of customers using iOS and it would be impossible to put out a version that works 100% for every single user. Even if only 1% of users are having a problem that's still millions of customers, but at the end of the day there's nothing you can do about that. Every device is unique, with different apps and services running, everyone uses their devices in different ways. That inevitably means that 101 things can and will go wrong. Apple patches what they can but it would be impossible to find out every single problem and push out a fix for it.

Fortunately I don't have any of these issues that people seem to be complaining about on the web, the same goes for the hundreds of millions of customers who aren't making a song and dance about it. The minority seem to shout the loudest and it amplifies. The figures speak for themselves, plus I seem to recall Craig Federighi saying recently that things have gotten better according to their own data. Just because one person has a problem and they feel entitled to have it fixed right there and then doesn't mean they speak for iOS and every user as a whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.