Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcgovern1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm using iOS 9 Public Beta 3 only iPhone 5s 32GB. Recently I've been noticing that my storage space gets low really quickly. When I plugged my phone into iTunes, it said that the "other" category is using up 15GB of data, and I have no idea what that would be...possibly mislabeled space on hard disk? If anyone has any ideas as to why this happened or how I can fix it, thank you in advance!

Jack

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 5.17.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 5.17.03 PM.png
    78 KB · Views: 188

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I'm using iOS 9 Public Beta 3 only iPhone 5s 32GB. Recently I've been noticing that my storage space gets low really quickly. When I plugged my phone into iTunes, it said that the "other" category is using up 15GB of data, and I have no idea what that would be...possibly mislabeled space on hard disk? If anyone has any ideas as to why this happened or how I can fix it, thank you in advance!

Jack

- Backup your iPhone through iTunes (choose "to this computer" option. you may want to select encrypt backup if you have an Apple watch to preserve the health data)
- Restore your iPhone and use the backup you selected in step above.

this process should free up the 15GB of garbage.

jmcgovern1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
- Backup your iPhone through iTunes (choose "to this computer" option. you may want to select encrypt backup if you have an Apple watch to preserve the health data)
- Restore your iPhone and use the backup you selected in step above.

this process should free up the 15GB of garbage.

I have already tried to restore through backup, and that did not work. Also, I cannot do a full restore (restore software also) or iTunes gives me a notification saying that it cannot download the software at this time. (I've tried countless times)

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I have already tried to restore through backup, and that did not work. Also, I cannot do a full restore (restore software also) or iTunes gives me a notification saying that it cannot download the software at this time. (I've tried countless times)
For iOS 9?
you need to download the ipsw from Apple.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
On your phone, go to Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Manage Storage and see if the values are adding up to your total usage. Something's either mislabeled, or you have a lot of media (or something, but 15 GB sounds like video) in a 3rd party app.

mattyu007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you use iCloud Music Library? I've run into an issue on DP5 (and possibly earlier) where the Music app will crash, and upon relaunching it, it will go through the "Loading Library..." step again. After that, all the songs which were previously made available offline are no longer available offline, and the storage space for them becomes "Other" in iTunes and no longer shows up in Manage Storage in Settings.

Reactions: maugustine

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Do you use iCloud Music Library? I've run into an issue on DP5 (and possibly earlier) where the Music app will crash, and upon relaunching it, it will go through the "Loading Library..." step again. After that, all the songs which were previously made available offline are no longer available offline, and the storage space for them becomes "Other" in iTunes and no longer shows up in Manage Storage in Settings.

I've run into this exact issue. Any recommendation for cleaning up the "Other" storage?

mattyu007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've run into this exact issue. Any recommendation for cleaning up the "Other" storage?
My solution was to just back up my iPhone in iTunes, restore to DP5, and then restore that backup.

I had problems back in DP2 with backups not restoring properly (apparently related to iCloud Photo Library), so I turned both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Music Library off before backing up and restoring. This was probably a little too cautious, but after losing my DP2 backup, I didn't want to take any chances.

Last edited:

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
My solution was to just back up my iPhone in iTunes, restore to DP5, and then restore that backup.

I had problems back in DP2 with backups not restoring properly (apparently related to iCloud Photo Library), so I turned both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Music Library off before backing up and restoring. This was probably a little too cautious, but after losing my DP2 backup, I didn't want to take any chances.

Cool. iTunes gives me an error and says it's unable to complete the backup. GM should be out next week; I might just suffer through. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.