IOS exclusive apps and development

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by socojo112, Jan 10, 2012.

1. socojo112 macrumors newbie

I've been having a debate with a friend about application development on ios and android. I think that we've come to a point where all of the major apps are being developed for both platforms, but my friend thinks that the app experience is still better on ios. My questions are what are the ios exclusive apps, and what makes them better than the ones found on android? and what about the operating system makes people choose ios vs android

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Go back and read this whole blog. It was a 4-month thing.

http://dinnerwithandroid.tumblr.com/

You'll learn more in 45 minutes there than you can from hours of people arguing here.

And it's not that there aren't apps for Android, but I constantly hear that they aren't as nice. Non-official Twitter apps seem to be one big examples I hear about a lot.

3. socojo112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your response, but Im looking for answers from people on here. I know about android very well, and Im trying to learn about where ios is today. people argue that ios has better apps or a more polished os but when I've used the 4s i felt restricted. hardware is essentially similar across the board so it's the os and app experience that separates the two. I just want an explanation as to what people mean when they mention apps or os experience

4. Mr D macrumors 6502

Read that link.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Let's see....on my Android phone, I had to deal with a horrific lag, after owning it for a few months and getting several updates from HTC and Sprint. Even rooting and installing a custom ROM didn't help. When I woke the phone, it would take anywhere from 15 seconds or more, for the screen to populate, so I could use the phone. The apps I used didn't sync to anything else and also crashed on a regular basis. The keyboard lag, when typing, was awful. Regardless of which one I tried, it would take forever to type anything and I'd often have to reboot my phone to get it to work right again, but that never lasted more than an hour or so. I actually had to reboot it several times a day to keep the phone functioning.

No amount of killing tasks, leaving them alone and letting Android handle it, or any other advice I read helped.

My 4S has already received an update, didn't slow it down and make it lag, at all. I wake the screen and it's there instantly and ready to go. The only app that crashes on me is the Facebook one and I rarely reboot.

6. socojo112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did look at it. there many different versions of android/skins and the way that they're made is changing with android 4.0 so that they become easier to update and that they offer consistency of use across the os. I understand the update process has been awfull but with these new changes we have to wait to see how they play out before we make a judgement on them now.

the way android is meant to be looked at is only through one device, which is the galaxy nexus. it's the model for phones running android so that's the only phone that Im comparing to the iphone 4s. since there's no nexus tablet yet we can only compare the transformer prime to the ipad2. also sales dont tell me how good a device is. Im looking for valid points the ios has over android.

also nexus devices release with a month to 2 months of exclusivity and this past device was released with a way to unlock it already. last i heard the 4s only has a jailbreak that developers are able to do. it's a fact that the jailbreak/custom rom community have come up with features that have eventually been incorporated into the os's, but apple has been against this sort of thing.

conclusion. if you compare nexus devices to the latest iphone, they both update very frequently with android doing ota updates. if you want to look at it as a whole then yes ios wins there

----------

first of all it matters what kind of phone you had. currently, the latest update to ics doesnt lag like many other android phones because of hardware acceleration being implemented finally. the keyboard is no easily on par with the iphones due to the blind type code being implemented. again the update process of android is different now with the implementation of holo's making it easier for updates to happen

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

And I no longer care! After experiencing the glitchiness of Android, I will not go back! I do not want to have to spend hours on my phone trying to get it to work right. I want to pick it up and be able to use it at any time I need to do so!

8. socojo112 thread starter macrumors newbie

that's exactly what im trying to point out to you.. it's not like that anymore. Ive used some a few android phones and i dont blame you for feeling that way. I really think there's a lot of android phones that suck especially some that should be flagship devices like the evo, but when you look at the best one in the galaxy nexus things are different.

9. socojo112 thread starter macrumors newbie