iOS official release versus new iPhone release date

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by JosephNajjar, Jun 7, 2017.

1. JosephNajjar macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I rarely use the forum but I hope some of you can help me out today with a question I have.

In the recent years, has the new iOS versions released BEFORE, AT THE SAME TIME OR AFTER the new iPhone of that year. Put differently, do you think we will be able to download the official iOS 11 before the release of the new iPhone this year? If so, by how long and also how was like in the past concerning the disparity (or not) between release dates.

I hope you guys can answer my question. I've been following Apple for years now but I'm having difficulty finding this answer. Any help is appreciated.

Have a great day,

Joe

2. fgmnt macrumors newbie

Typically, the new phone comes out within the same week or a few days later than the release of the new iOS version. IIRC, the iPhone 7 came out 3 or 4 days after iOS 10 dropped.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apple will have an event in a September or October for the new iPhone. They will announce the launch date of the iPhone at the event. iOS comes out on the Wednesday before the Friday of the iPhone launch date. So 2 days before.

4. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Official iOS release is before the official iPhone release.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

This, except for iOS 9 and the iPhone 6s where there was a longer gap. But yeah, iOS comes out first.

6. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

As stated, the new iOS comes out before the new iPhone.