iOS5 and third party camera apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reck, Sep 8, 2011.

1. reck macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me if the lock screen quick camera access feature and the volume button shutter feature in iOS5 will be compatible with 3rd party camera apps like Camera+?

I’m especially interested in the quick access button because it takes so long to unlock the device with a pin code and launch the app that sometimes the moment has passed. At the moment I use camera+ for taking all my photo’s so I’m not looking forward to having to change over to the stock camera app if the new features are locked.

Thanks

2. troop231 macrumors 603

My guess is that developers will have to update their apps to support the feature.

3. reck thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah i'm sure the dev would have to add the feature in the app. I'm just wondering if Apple would make these two features available in the api in the first place to give the camera devs an option to use them?

I'm hopeful that third party apps will be able to use the volume shutter button feature, after all Camera+ had this feature in ios4 before Apple pulled the app because they didn't like it (at the time). But i'm not so hopeful about the quick access button on the lock screen. For instance how would you tell the phone which phone app to launch when its pressed? Hopefully they'll add something in the preferences or or if you hold the quick access button down it'll popup and ask which app you want to launch when its pressed.

It would be a big blow to all the camera apps if the new features were locked to basic stock camera app.

4. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I predict they wont.

As it is a security concern I highly doubt third party apps will have access to the lock screen camera option. They mentioned that when in this special reduced app you can work with pictures that you just took but you can't see anything else. Allowing third party apps to secure user actions and contain/limit what they do because they aren't logged in isn't going to be something apple will allow third parties to have any control over.

In theory it would work like default browser changer works I'm guessing, something else they don't allow.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I don't think apps like Camera+ will get access to the lockscreen shortcut feature. I just don't see it happening. As for the volume button shutter...maybe. Camera+ had it originally, so it may be added again. I hope Apple doesn't screw that one up.

7. reck thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a shame. For sheer speed and convenience i'll probably start using the stock camera app when ios5 is released.

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

This isn't Android buddy, there's no way 3rd party apps will get that API

9. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Just wanted to confirm that camera+ can't currently use the vol button on ios5.

As for the home screen thing, just seems to be the stock camera app, I can't find a setting for it.

The stock camera does seem to take better quality photos since beta 7 tho, not sure if they changed the way the software processes em or something.

10. reck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MyRomeo for the confirmation.

The iphone camera app will never be as full featured as some third part apps so it's a shame that it looks like we're going to have to compromise between features and convenience.

11. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

I'm sure if the devs put that in the app it will work just like the music player when you open multi tasking and it shows pandora instead of iTunes.

12. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Not when you consider the lock screen it doesn't, again that is a security concern.

13. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Is there a Cydia-hack available for IOS4 that will introduce volume button shutter to ProCamera or Camera+?

14. kolax macrumors G3

To be honest, I've waited a long time for Apple to finally let us use a volume control button as a shutter. However, now we finally can, I don't use it, and use the screen instead. It's a rather stiff button to press while trying to hold a camera steady, and I've struggled to get non-blurry photos. I'm not saying my whole hand shakes, it's a very minor movement, but enough to cause most of my photos to be slightly off.

Accessing 3rd party cameras straight from the lock screen would be nice - maybe Apple has a specific API for that purpose now.

15. blizeH macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Just a quick question, for a basic user, is there really much worth using in Camera+ or ProCamera that makes it worth ditching the regular camera app (and HDR shots, and video recording inside the app, and quick access from the lock screen) for, or is it just for more advanced users that like to tweak the settings etc?

Ty!

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

@blizeH: It's not either/or - you can have both the Apple Camera app and 3rd party camera apps installed, and use whichever one best fits the situation.

17. blizeH macrumors 6502

Yeah good point, I'm just wondering if it's worth spending the extra, you know? And having an extra icon on my homescreen, or having to remember which app to open... I know it sounds silly, but it's all things worth considering.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

@blizeH: Really depends on your usage. I have Camera+ but can't remember the last time I've used it. I generally don't do edits on the go, and the recent enhancements to the Apple camera app took care of the reasons I'd bought Camera+.

My recommendation is use the Apple Camera app and mentally keep track of the "I wish I could have..." things you'd like to do for a while then see if Camera+ would fill those gaps.

I do believe Camera+ can pull pics from the camera roll and then do edits, so other than the exposure/focus split and "stabilizer" function I'm not sure it offers a whole lot for actual picture taking.

19. blizeH macrumors 6502

Ah, you're a star, thank you - sounds like I probably don't need Camera+ then, as I'd probably be similar to you in that I'd just use the regular camera app anyway. The stabilizer (judging from apps I've used in the past) isn't something I'd use, and the exposure/focus split sounds like something for a more advanced user, I guess!

Thanks again