IOS6 killed iPhone 4 battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elpimpo, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Elpimpo, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Elpimpo macrumors newbie

So I upgraded both me and the wife's iPhone 4 to iOS 6 last night.
    Left the house this morning at 92%.
    Got to work, checked emails, Facebook, twitter, and a couple forums, 20 minutes on 3G tops.
    Now my battery is at 71%!
    This phone is brand new as of a week ago and the above 3G usage list is my daily routine. So I know for a fact my battery should be around the high 80s not the low 70s.
    I hope this is a one time thing and not a permanent iOS 6 thing.

The phone is a lot faster/smoother with the new software but this battery drain is killing me!
    Let me know if you all have the same problem.

Also upgraded iPad 2.
    No such problem with iPad

2. bzavala macrumors member

I updated iOS 6 with Gold Master last week so I've been using it for a while now on my iPhone 4S, and yes, the battery does drain faster. I did a restore from backup, but people say to install as new phone... I just wanted to keep my stuff.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I updated my 4S to ios6 and don't have any issues with my battery draining. Left charger at 6 am. 5 hours of standby and 40 minute of usage, it's still at 97%.

4. richpuer macrumors 6502

my ipad 3 battery getting killed fast after this update as well

5. skidbubble macrumors 6502

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Hmm, battery seems fine, if not better on my 4S with iOS 6.

Holds a full charge for a longer period of time. I haven't done a full day test on it yet, so I will have a better idea later...

But I can definitely say that iOS6 hasn't HURT my battery at all. Maybe it's because my 4S is only 9 months old, compared to the older 4?

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You probably need to tweak some settings.

9. boxster99t macrumors member

This is good advice. I did notice that one of my iPads (after installing IOS 6 yesterday) had the brightness slider all the way to high--I'm not sure if the IOS upgrade did that or one of the kids jacked up the brightness on my iPad from before the upgrade and I didn't notice it.

Turned it back down to the middle/lower third of the brightness scale.

10. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Let it run down, recharge it and possibly restart it. See if that does anything.

Yesterday, after first installing iOS 6, my battery life was terrible. I dropped from 93% to 17% in about 2 hours of usage, which was just normal web browsing and such on wifi.

Today, after a full night's charge, my battery life is doing much, much better. I'm at 82% and I only had it charging for about 10 minutes when I offloaded some images...so that's essentially well over an hour of use plus a bunch of standby.

11. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

my 4S's battery life improved if anything, it sucked on 5.1.1

12. lamenramen macrumors regular

Killer battery life = even better battery life.
    So I was misled by the title of the post.

I would assume that ios6 may hurt battery life at the beginning, but apple will release something, like ios 6.1 that will fix this issue. This is what usually happens so I'm not all that surprised to hear people saying that their battery life is worse. It happened last year with the iphone 4s as well with ios 5.0

13. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Same here.

14. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

mine too

15. Elpimpo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great to hear.
    Will try n let y'all know

16. Tbperry macrumors newbie

17. mushtama macrumors member

Definitely found a decrease in battery life on the 4. Used to get around 8 hours from full charge, only got 5-6 hours today :/ Hopefully it won't be as bad on the iphone 5!

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Updated yesterday afternoon and def. saw a quicker than usual decrease last night. I'm going to let the battery drain 100% and see what happens, but really I don't care that much because by this time tomorrow I'll have my 5 and the 4 will get iPod duty and be docked to speakers for the next two years.

19. whiskeyred macrumors regular

I upgraded and see no difference in battery life on the iPhone 4

20. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

21. Merkie macrumors 68020

My battery life has increased a lot with iOS on the iPhone 4.

22. rojo78 macrumors newbie

IOS6 Killed iPhone4 battery life

Last night charged my iphone4 to 100%. Turned off wifi, bluetooth and location services (can't use maps) went to sleep and woke up to 28% battery life. This after upgrading to the new OS. Really Pi**** off right now. Will wait to upgrade my iPad and wife's iPhone 4

23. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Ur confused...the iPhone 4 will not run faster and smother with ios6. It will almost certainly slow down a bit. Not much...But definitely wont be faster. And the reason ur battery seemed to die quicker is because whether u realize it or not, u most likely played around on it more then normal when u updated. It's impossible to see battery issues within 24 hrs of updating. U need at least a week of usage.

24. mkaen macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 ran faster with iOS 6, and I did not have any decrease in battery life.

25. Smplthis1 macrumors newbie

After updating to iOS 6 and charging phone over night, I unplugged the phone this morning instantly the battery life dropped to 99%. I do not have anything running and all location finders are off with the exception of find my iPhone. After normal FB and email checking and unplugged for 40 minutes, I am at 83%. I am really upset with this. Any additional suggestions?