iOS7 on iphones causing motion sickenss

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by happycamper515, Sep 29, 2013.

1. happycamper515 macrumors newbie

There is an article in USA Today saying many people are experiencing motion sickness with iOS7 on the iphone. Apple's attempt to slick-up the animations seems to be causing some minor heath issues for some. The articles goes on to say that if it is a big enough problem you can expect Apple to fix it by probably giving users the option to turn off certain animations.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

They already do.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Reduce Motion "On"

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

OK, a phone causing health issues? Motion sickness from a phone? I repeat, a cell phone is making you sick because you can't keep your equilibrium?

Is this the most retarded BS you've heard this month or the past year?

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I think people are going way too overboard with this.

6. user-name-here macrumors 65816

7. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

That's nothing. I remember in the 1980s when the media was saying Dungeons & Dragons led to Satanism and teen suicide. Even 60 Minutes did a piece on it.

8. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Rofl :p

You're joking right?

9. karl184 macrumors member

Apple finally replied to my email regarding my motion sickness issue with iOS 7. I'm relieved that they are now aware of the issue and it seems like they are finally working on a fix. It's now only a matter of "when" not "if."

"Hello,

Thank you for writing to Apple. At this time we want to ensure that you are aware of the current options to help reduce motion in iOS 7.
    You can Reduce Motion, which turns off Parallax and limits the animations of other apps and icon badges, by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion.
    Additionally, you can Increase Contrast and enable Bold Text - some users have informed us that that has helped them reduce the perception of motion they encounter in iOS 7.

Apple is aware that some users may need additional motion control options. We do appreciate your feedback and will forward this information on to the appropriate people for review.

At this time, we cannot comment on when a possible solution will be made available.

Apple Accessibility

Please also visit our sites
    http://www.apple.com/accessibility/
    http://www.apple.com/support/accessibility/"

10. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

11. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

That turns off parallax, but not the zoom in/zoom out animations when opening and closing apps. Apparently that's as big a culprit to the motion sickness as the floating effect.

Luckily this isn't a problem for me and I like the animation effect, but it wouldn't hurt to include an option to turn off that feature as well for those that it allegedly does.

12. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

It's just silly news, only people with a problem with motion sickness already have a chance of getting effected.

13. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

So nobody, not a single person, gets motion sickness using Android or Windows phones?

The only reason this is news is because it's Apple. With every new device (or the first major software refresh for iPhone, in this case), comes a new "gate".

Apple could do everything right and someone somewhere will find something wrong.

14. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

16. MalusSylvestris macrumors member

I have to wonder how much time some people are spending staring at their phones and swiping from app to app for this to be a problem. The phone takes up such a small part of your field of view that I find it surprising that it can cause this.

That said, someone I know (a tech writer) has this problem, and he wrote a piece about it for the Guardian (UK) the other day. So it does seem to be an issue.

17. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I guess it's just an apple problem! This is so funny!

18. happycamper515 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually this is just an Apple problem and not an android problem. Having migrated from android to Apple I know android very well and the reason it's only an Apple problem is because android is very customizable. You can change the way the way the screens transition and make it as flashy or as plain as you want. Apple does not give you that flexibility...yet.

That fact this article appeared on so many mainstrean news sites gives it traction and Apple can't simply ignore it.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I wonder how these people drive cars, or travel in cars when other people are driving them.