iOS8 - iPhone 6 and iPad Air unusable (bit of a rant)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Osullivan1, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

So I've always admired Apple for stable software releases - I even felt releases such as OS X Lion weren't unusably bad.

But iOS 8 has made me wonder what has happened to Apple's attention to quality. I've been away from home for 1 week, unable to access my home iTunes computer - and both my iPhone and iPad have broken.

On my iPhone, any iTunes related content refuses to download (including music, apps, app updates, etc) - it won't even let me update to iOS 8.1. In addition to this, apps keep crashing, music deletes itself in the music app, and rearranges playlists randomly. Safari even froze up typing this post. And this is on the iPhone 6.

This was bearable, but then, tonight, my iPad prompted me to install iOS 8.1 - so, trusting my year old iPad Air, I pressed install. Within 2 minutes, the iPad switched off, and then told me to connect it to iTunes.

I can't bring either to the Apple Store, as my iPad won't turn on, so I can't disable Find My iPhone (a requirement of the Apple Store Genius Bar), and can't bring my iPhone because they'll either tell me to update (which I cannot do), restore (which I can't do from half way round the world from my home computer), or reset all settings, which I can't do for fear of it deleting my iCloud Drive data.

This should not be a situation i have to face. When I pay upwards of £500 for each of these two pieces of high end technology, I expect them to at least operate with stock function. The fact that neither can do so for a week without needing restoring is NOWHERE NEAR good enough.

I fear that Tim Cook was too hasty firing Scott Forstall, as we never saw a release this bad under his eye. I really wish I'd have avoided iOS 8 altogether as it's been *such* an unbearably bad experience.

- End of rant.

(If anyone knows how I can get my iPad on again without plugging into iTunes at home, let me know... I really need it :/ )

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Sounds like a call to apple is the best route now. The iPad won't turn on?

3. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

[QUOTE
    (If anyone knows how I can get my iPad on again without plugging into iTunes at home, let me know... I really need it :/ )[/QUOTE]

Google "ipad stuck plug into iTunes" follow first hit and report if that helped.

JiC your google search is different:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6159744

FYI, NEVER update to a newly released (within 1 month) OS on any device, if that device is a professional tool you rely on, especially while travelling!

4. eww7633 macrumors regular

If you are updating over weak wifi, this is pretty common. Updating through iTunes usually produces no issues.

You can turn off Find my iPhone at http://icloud.com. If you are regularly backing up to iCloud, it won't be an issue for you. And yes, a restore would probably be need for both issues, definitely the iPad.

5. Osullivan1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I plugged the iPad into iTunes and it gave me the option to update the software, which I did and the device was fixed.

I backed up my phone, and updated (stupidly) OTA and exactly the same problem occurred - however this time could not be fixed by updating, so had to do a restore from backup - which (still), though working, caused a whole load of data loss (including all my Health data). Annoyed, but might make a new post to see if anyone's got any ideas on how to get it back - though I doubt I'll be able to.