Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new profile of Beats co-founders and new Apple employees Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine, The Wall Street Journal interviews the duo about their newly launched undergraduate academy at the University of Southern California called the USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and Business of Innovation. The Beats co-founders, who bankrolled the academy with a $70 million gift last year that led to the first students being enrolled this past August, are being profiled as part of the WSJ. Magazine 2014 Innovator Awards.

iovinedre.jpg
Photo courtesy of The Wall Street Journal​
Echoing Steve Jobs' description of the philosophy of Apple, the school is aimed at preparing young people to be able to work in businesses that are at the intersection of technology and liberal arts.
"We wanted to build a school that we feel is what the entertainment industry needs right now," he says. "There's a new kid in town, and he's brought up on an iPad from one and a half years old. But the problem with some of the companies up north [in Silicon Valley] is that they really are culturally inept. I've been shocked at the different species in Northern and Southern California--we don't even speak the same language. The kid who's going to have an advantage in the entertainment industry today is the kid who speaks both languages: technology and liberal arts. That's what this school is about."
Erica Muhl, the school's first executive director, says that while other schools aim to mix business and technology, none of them add in the arts or culture. Iovine says the school's goal is to "find kids who can work at Beats or at Apple".

While Iovine and Dre unsurprisingly haven't shared what their exact roles at Apple will entail, The Wall Street Journal notes that one of the primary things on their minds is to marry people who create art with those who distribute it.
"I think what you're seeing more and more are companies that are designed to do multiple things," Iovine says. "If you look at the Beats model, there's software and hardware. Look at what Amazon is doing; look at what Google's trying to do. It's technology and content in one."
In recent months, Apple's music strategy has seen increased cooperation from artists in its distribution channels. In December, Beyoncè launched her newest album exclusively on iTunes with no advance promotion, while iTunes Radio has consistently featured specially curated radio stations from artists like Sam Smith. More recently, Beats Music highlighted on Twitter that its service will still stream Taylor Swift's music after she decided to pull her content from rival streaming service Spotify. Apple is expected to launch a revamped version of Beats Music in early 2015.

The full profile, which includes anecdotes on the creation of Beats Music and how Iovine had always wanted to work with Apple, as well as examples of what students are doing at the new school, can be found at The Wall Street Journal.

Article Link: Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre Discuss Their New USC Academy Focused on Technology and Liberal Arts

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Mental images of those movies where kids create their own university since they can't get into a regular one.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Mental images of those movies where kids create their own university since they can't get into a regular one.

How many examples do I have to list that proves a million times you don't NEED a college degree to be successful! Like them or not, they are making a big different in many areas and are , so far, successful in all! I don't like Justin B. But I will never say he's not successful and give him that credit!

----------

as a significant shareholder in apple i really wish they hadn't bought beats.

Really? If you have less than a thousand shares, your not significant ! If your a real share holder with millions of shares, you would not have wasted such ignorant remarks on a rumor forum! :eek:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
as a significant shareholder in apple i really wish they hadn't bought beats.

Why?

Your stock is as high as it's ever been... isn't that what really matters?

And the $3 billion they paid for Beats barely registers anyway... Apple can make that money back in 30 days. (hint... it's already paid off... and they STILL have $150 billion left over...)

Now if you were a shareholder of Facebook... who spent $17 billion for WhatsApp... then I'd worry. :)

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Why?

And the $3 billion they paid for Beats barely registers anyway... Apple can make that money back in 30 days. (hint... it's already paid off)

Now if you were a shareholder of Facebook... who spent $17 billion for WhatsApp... then I'd worry. :)

And on what basis or calculation do you demonstrate that the purchase of Beats has "paid off"? Apple earning $3 billion via other products / services is vastly different than Beats having returned anything towards that purchase price.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I actually read through the curriculum and class descriptions. This actually seems like a very nice program.

The main thing I like about this program(At least from what I read) is that it's very hands on and applied.

Guy who actually knows what he's doing when actually working in the field > dude with a 4.5 GPA with little or no real world experience, anyday of the week.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Announcing The Dr. Dre School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
And on what basis or calculation do you demonstrate that the purchase of Beats has "paid off"? Apple earning $3 billion via other products / services is vastly different than Beats having returned anything towards that purchase price.

I didn't say Beats itself has earned enough money to cover the purchase price. (although Beats has a lot of income)

I just said Apple had enough money to buy Beats. (and plenty more)

Look... people are acting like Apple spent their LAST $3 billion on Beats and they are now in financial ruins.

They aren't.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Why?

And the $3 billion they paid for Beats barely registers anyway... Apple can make that money back in 30 days. (hint... it's already paid off... and they STILL have $150 billion left over...)

i think it would be higher otherwise and just don't think it was the right thing to do...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Difference between Northern and Southern California lol. Just what would those two, with their very distinct backgrounds, like to change about the North lol oh my I hope I don't get kicked off again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.