Iowa governor-elect already flexing his gubernatorial muscles.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by geekgirl, Nov 4, 2010.

1. geekgirl macrumors regular

In case folks haven't been keeping track, Iowa's governor, Chet Culver (D), was defeated by former-governor Terry Brandstat (R) in one of the biggest WTF-time-warp, moments in Iowa politics.

Today, we get this gem from our governor-elect.

Branstad Wants Resignation Letters From Dept Heads

So, basically, he wants all agency heads to resign, and then he'll choose who deserves to have their job back. He also wants our current governor to not exercise his right to appoint the replacements for the 3 ISC justices ousted Tuesday (you know, the ones who had the guts to say that laws that were meant to prevent same-sex marriages were unconstitutional, because they infringed on equal rights protected by our constitution and amendments).

Such an angry atmosphere here in Iowa right now...

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Screw him.

Never resign, from anything, period.

He can can them if he wishes (that's an assumption on my part?), but if he does, there is a monitory value to doing so.

If they resign, I would assume (again) that they would get ZIP.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Sounds like a dictator. Does he have any power before his term starts?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. He doesn't have any power until he's sworn in.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just the power of a lawyer for BS.

And no, I don't know if he is one, so don't bite my ankles if he is not.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. And I would call his bluff on this right now, and have him produce any law on the books that states that not only he can do this, but that the people in question must comply. If he persists, sue him and take it to the 8th Circuit. It's easy to see that he's wanting this so another "good 'ol boys club" could be created, a la Bush/Cheney/Rove/Libby/Rumsfeld/Gonzalez.

It was Branstadt's crap like this some 20 years ago that gave Iowa the moniker of "Idiots Out Walking Around". Seeing the progress that they had made since then, I was hoping that common sense would still prevail during and after the elections (and it might: The Senate Majority leader vowed to block any effort to have a constitutional amendment presented to the voters to ban gay marriage), but they are slowly starting to let me down again.

BL.

7. geekgirl thread starter macrumors regular

And even more fun...

Terry Branstad says he will stop I-JOBS spending, if possible

Some excerpts, because this is a long article:

This is going to be a mess.