Iowa grants permits for blind residents to carry guns in public

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 8, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't see anything going wrong here.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130908/NEWS/309080061/?odyssey=nav|head

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. localoid, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

7. thekev, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It did say "or completely blind".

Also

Next stop sunset boulevard, I think:D.

Edit: I'm pleased that at least two people seem to have picked up on the "spy hard" reference.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There used to be an expression: He can't hit what he can't see.

Looks like we'll have to mothball that one.

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

11. Squadleader macrumors regular

Not sure where it says the blind must check their constitutional rights at the door...In fact all handicap persons should have all their rights taken away, why stop at one.or two or three....

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

dead on. If you are competent, a disability should not be a deterrent. I know a lot of sighted people I wouldn't trust with any firearm. It is all about training.

I will say however, we must eliminate any magazine limits, so that if we get a disturbed disabled person who is bringing the heat, they don't have to reload as often. (yeah, I know, a non-sequitur, but: anytime gun control comes up, someone has to jump in and support unlimited magazines, no background checks, and a gun for every child. Go NRA! We need fewer gun restrictions like fish need bicycles...)

13. APlotdevice, Sep 8, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Ah huh... So what you're saying is that the second amendment is an absolute? Public safety be damned? Shall we give guns to little children while we're at it?

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Nor will they.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I'm fairly certain there will be no shortage of forum members interested in discussing "guns", ad nauseum, so I'll choose not to comment on your suggestion...

My sole point was that person who are legally bind can indeed obtain drivers licenses in some states, if certain requirements are met.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

A drivers license is not a Right, gun ownership is.
    A better question is, why do you need a permit to carry a firearm in the first place, blind or not?

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Why do you need a FCC license to broadcast radio or television?

19. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Good question.

In some cases you don't. I don't want to get into quoting CFR's in this thread. If you really want to know look at part 15 of CFR title 47.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So let me ask you this question, and I would appreciate an honest response, because it dictates the next question I'll be asking, and it is a more important one.

The question: Do you think a blind person should have a gun permit, let alone anything CCW, considering the potential consequences that could happen because of such ownership?

I would appreciate an honest answer here.

EDIT: I ask this question, because my wife is blind, and I'm about to ask her this same question.

That question belongs in the other 14 CCW/open carry threads started here in the past month. perhaps reviving one of those threads with that question there may be your best bet to get a response.

BL.

21. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

It is not anyone's place to say. If this person is not a felon and is of legal age it is not my place to say if they can or can not own/carry a firearm.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Let me rephrase: in your own opinion, do you think that someone who is blind should be able to openly carry or CCW, onsidering the potential consequences that could happen because of such ownership?

BL.

23. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

In my opinion it is their Right to carry a firearm. My opinion does not matter but because you asked.

I can not see someone that is totally 100% blind being very effective at using a firearm but if they feel the need I am 100% okay with any and all potential consequences. I would hope they would get some specialized training but again, not really anyone's place to say.

24. APlotdevice, Sep 8, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You know the second amendment makes absolutely no mention of criminal status or age. So if you go by a literal interpretation, then to restrict a felon or child from owning a gun is infringing on THEIR rights.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.. let me try one more time, and let's bring in an anecdotal.

Let's use my wife's condition: cautery stick of straight silver nitrate applied to her eye, destroying her cornea and retina, and frying the optic nerve in one eye. 7 corneal transplants fail to save the vision in her other eye, leaving her barely able to see a 23" monitor at 600x480 with nose prints on the screen, and even that is extremely blurry. Glaucoma sets in as well, all before before the age of 7. Fast forward 25 years, leaving the person having to undergo an ocular evisceration to remove the eye with glaucoma. No further change in the vision of the other eye.

The person's vision is rated at 20/1100 (guidelines are here). Seeing that legally blind starts at 20/200, would you, if it were under your control, allow someone with 20/1000 or lower vision to carry a gun openly, CCW, or use a gun, knowing that they could not see the target they are aiming at, and potentially injure or kill an innocent bystander, or worse, someone they care about?

BL.