Iowa Gubernatorial Candidate wants EVERYONE to prove their citizenship status

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm surprised Fivepoint didn't bring this one up, or that anyone just let it slip through the cracks. But this is coming from Iowa's Red (read: Republican) Candidate, who wants EVERYONE under scrutiny.

Omaha World Herald

And even more damning...

Des Moines Register

He doesn't just mean anyone illegally in the country. He means EVERYONE. Everyone in the country would have to carry their passport, birth certificate, and any or all other paperwork when entering or leaving Iowa.

He deserves the outrage being directed at him, because this infringes on the rights of the people inside and outside of his state. And he doesn't realize that he himself would have to prove it as well (as he and his ancestors are immigrants to here too).

Comments, everyone, and especially from Fivepoint. I would LOVE to hear what he and other Reds have to say on the matter.

BL.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

For traffic violations, you need to carry a DL no? Is that not considered proof of citizenship?

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to him. DL only shows current residence, not actual citizenship. You can be here illegally, but still have a current residential address.

BL.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Really? I know to get a DL in every state I have lived in, I have had to provide a ssn, birth certificate, and existing DL if getting one from new state

Usually they have so many points required to prove citizenship and each document carries a certain amt

In short, I thought by having a DL, you already provided the necessary documentation for citizenship

Here is Iowa's identity requirements for obtaining a DL
    http://www.iowadot.gov/mvd/ods/identity.htm

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Think about it this way.

You're a foreign student in college at Iowa or Iowa State University. You go out to get something to eat, but get caught doing 46 in a 35 zone, and get pulled over. You have your DL from your home country with you, but left your passport containing your student visa at your dorm or apartment. According to Branstad, not only would that be grounds for a ticket, but you'd be deemed an illegal until someone brings you the proof that you're a student, and in the country, legally.

What about babies? Should a parent always have to or be forced to carry their child's birth certificate with them?

EDIT:
    You're only thinking internal to Iowa. This affects anyone living in, visiting, or transiting through Iowa.

BL.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Turning into Switzerland, aren't you America?

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The far right is getting more hilarious and desperate by the day. What I want to know is why the feel so paranoid and threatened.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

check the list (see primary list item #3) and you'll see non-citizens can get iowa licenses under a variety of entry permits and conditions......it's pretty common that you don't have to be a citizen to get a drivers license

edit; If you check colorado's requirements you'll see that a foreign passport could get you a colorado drivers license......the license may show that you've proven that you're in the state legally, but it doesn't show you're a US citizen

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is there something wrong in enforcing current laws?

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

11. awmazz macrumors 65816

So never do 46 and never get pulled over, ergo never get caught.

These sorts of laws only effectively catch dumb people, so in effect they are discriminatory. ;)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The only way they can win elections is by scaring people. They have to sow fear and create an enemy, and they're running out of boogeymen. Their ideas don't work and never have, so this is what we get from them.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

End of the day laws and things like this show the larger issue.
    The Federal government needs a standard and REALLY needs to clean up on dealing with illegal immigration.

I have no problem with requiring employers to prove that their employees are here legally. I also think if you are not here legally you should not be allowed to rent property with harsh punishment to property owners.

DL should only be issued if you are here legally.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, there's an internet rumor that California gives out drivers licenses to illegal immigrants, so no. Despite the rumor not being true of course, but that never stopped anyone from making the claim...

About the law... I actually would be more sympathetic to a law that said *everyone* needed to prove their citizenship upon lawful contact with the po-po rather than just those who "look illegal". Not much more sympathetic, mind you. But a little.

15. Queso macrumors G4

What happens if the Federal Government refuses to take those detained?

Also "Show me your papers" sounds a bit East Germany/Iron Curtain for my liking. Maybe this candidate is a Communist :eek:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Glad to see someone agrees with me...

17. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Yup, just like in 08, see here

>< i think it would be more along the lines of "can i see your license, registration and proof of citizenship" not, "Show me your papers" *holds machine gun to your head*

What i dont understand is why everyone seems to think its ok for so many people to live here illegally and not pay taxes...

18. Queso macrumors G4

It doesn't matter how it's phrased when failure to produce the right documentation results in automatic internment.

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Well, you're suposed to carry your liscense while driving...all the more reason to now.

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

That hasn't changed since cars were invented. But it's outlandish to have someone to tell the people of his state, that if elected governor, they must show proof of citizenship for any reason the police use to pull you over.

All that is required for driving a car is a valid DL, proof of insurance, and registration of the vehicle.

BL.

21. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Simple don't break the law and get pulled over. End of Story.

Perhaps this will reduce the amount of deaths due to careless driving. :)

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Illegals do not pay sales tax? How do they manage that one? And what do they call those deductions like FICA that come out of a check with a purloined SSN?

Just sayin...

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Interesting... Certainly eliminates the criticisms of "racial profiling."

Squeeks, don't you understand? These people are OPPRESSED!

24. Queso macrumors G4

Everyone will be if you allow your officials to go down this road.