Iowa house passes bill to let children of all ages handle guns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, Feb 25, 2016.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But think how polite they will now be gonna give a whole new meaning to the neighborhood bully.

3. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

What on earth are these bureaucrats thinking, as if there isn't enough problems with guns as it is, the first words a child utters these days instead of "Dadda" or "Mumma", will be saying "Go ahead punk, make my day".

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

An armed kindergarten is a polite kindergarten.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

But BB guns do no harm, right? Why would any other type of gun?

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Hard to be rude when you're brains are splattered on the wall.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Wow. Grandpa could take his grandson and go shoot a .22 rifle. Maybe even put a few squirrels in the pot. Now they can use a .22 revolver.

What's the issue again ??? They're not allowing kids to carry concealed. It's adult supervised.

The thread title needs to be edited.

I wonder how many posters actually read the article before commenting ?

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It doesn't sound like a big change from their current laws.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not your kids/not your problem. What's the big freaking deal?

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well until they shoot up a school.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

First of all, in most States minors are allowed to handle and shoot shotguns and rifles under adult supervision. It's been this way forever and if a parent wants to teach their 10 year old proper gun safety, target shooting or hunting with something like a .22 I don't see any issue with that. We have hunter safety courses for kids 11 and up and properly teaching them is a lot better then just making it a taboo topic and providing no proper training. It's a little like sex ed. The places that try to withhold that education also end up with high rates of teen pregnancy and STDs.

When I was young my father taught us the proper use of firearms. He also taught us they were very dangerous and could kill or severely injure a person. Safety, safety, safety was pounded into us. My friends sometimes joke that I'm "safety crazy" out on the range, but I owe that to my father and my time in the military. Maybe if more kids were taught that guns are truly dangerous and should be respected we'd have less accidents and more respect for them.

Now of course any rational person doesn't think a 5 year old should be handling a hand gun, but I don't see any issue with allowing older minors to be properly trained with firearms. Hunting and target shooting is a family activity for a lot of people where I live and I always enjoy seeing a parent spending time mentoring and teaching their children. If you ask most kids what they want from their parents... They will tell you their time and attention. That's it.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

More national resistance towards guns ----> less pro-gun state restrictions

Sounds like a really stupid plan. God forbid someone turn 18 and have never shot a pistol. I have a pistol permit and 2 pistols that I aquired at age 23, but really I see no good coming from this decision.

Young, immature, physically weak, people with undeveloped decision making skills should not be handling guns IMO, particularly pistols. Age 13-15 for rifles... Minimum, 18-21 for pistols. I think that's fair judgement.

I wouldn't want an 8 year old driving a car.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

For people with a reading impairment, which there are clearly many based upon the responses in this thread, let me help you: