Iowa reverses minimum wage increases and forbids future ones?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Apr 1, 2017.

1. samiwas Suspended

Maybe there's more to the story. Maybe I'm missing something. I thought it might be an April Fools joke, but it's an article from a few days prior.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/iowa-minimum-wage_us_58dd4b66e4b05eae031e16c6

Iowa has apparently passed a bill that reverses local minimum wage increases and bans cities or counties from enacting them in the future. So, people who had received a wage increase will now lose that increase and go back to the state minimum wage, which is the same as the federal minimum at $7.25.

The governor stated "It is a privilege, and it's something I'm very proud to do. I think it's going to have a long-term, lasting benefit for Iowa's competitive situation."

So, he thinks that reducing the wages of people who had received a raise is going to have a lasting benefit for Iowa? Keeping wages low, and forbidding localities from enacting higher wages is going to provide a lasting benefit?

On the one hand, it aggravates me to read this stuff. On the other hand, I have to remember that the citizens of this state voted to change from a bipartisan representation to a Republican representation, so they get what they voted for.

I know there are a few members of this board who support this wholeheartedly. So, tell me why. Why do you think it's a good thing for a state to forbid a locality from enacting their own minimum wage increases, or rolling back already-enacted increases?

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Just so there's no misunderstand the bill does not force businesses to pay current employees less.

3. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

What happened to the GOP belief that local governments know what's best for their citizens?

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

^^This. If a business desires to pay more than the paltry minimum wage then they are free to. Local fast food businesses in my area pay $9 or better, on average and the other businesses have raised theirs to meet the demand. Other businesses have raised theirs, too so they don't lose well qualified people to lower skilled jobs.
    There should be no such things as a state or municipal mandated minimum wage. It is not the place of government, at any level, to mandate what an employer pays their employees. The market will always sort it out.
    Right now, the argument over the MW and raising it to $15 is stupid. People are overlooking the real problem. It's not the MW, it's the value of the dollar. As the dollar has become worth less it has made working for it less attractive. If the government would get behind fixing the dollar the whole issue of living wages and MW's would disappear.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    The GOP only pays lip service to their "principles" They've never really believed that, as evidenced by their behaviour.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming you are also against governments giving tax incentives or other forms of corporate welfare to encourage companies to set up shop in their state or city?

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

Called GOP selective memory and application. They only go along with their own none sense when it suits them. It's way of all hypocrites.

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

You assume correctly. Government has no business picking winners and losers or using taxes, subsidies or incentives to lure any business to its community. I have no problems with local governments making themselves attractive to businesses by creating a good environment for business via low regulations and taxes, but they should apply to EVERY business, not just the chosen few.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

9. samiwas thread starter Suspended

I didn't suggest it did. Doesn't make this action any less vile.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Like Solyndra?

Yeah I would assume nearly everyone who doesn't support the minimum wage would be against shenanigans like that.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    It sounds to me like you did suggest it:

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

The bill may not force a company, but how many companies on the average are you aware of that intentionally pay above minimum wage if they don't have to? o_O

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I was merely clarifying a possible misunderstanding in the op. Companies currently paying employees above the rolled back minimum are not required to lower their wages.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Target
    Costco
    Panera Bread
    Publix Grocery store.

Those are 4, off the top of my head within a 10 mile radius of my house.

And yes I'm talking about entry level cashier and food prep jobs.

14. samiwas thread starter Suspended

It's cute that you believe that, but that would assume that employers and employees have equal footings in the negotiations. "The Market" would very likely lead to much lower wages.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Why do you think I'm implying you did? But I don't honestly know what you really knew. Some readers will jump to the conclusion that current wages are being rolled back. I'm helping to clarify a possible mistaken assumption. I hope it helped.

16. samiwas thread starter Suspended

So, to you, that means that I said "the government will force employers to lower wages". Okay, dude...whatever you want to believe is up to you.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I agree but I don't really know. So I offered a public service announcement.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

OK then, so what did you mean when you wrote:

19. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

That certainly isn't the case in my area. Wages are far above the MW, in everything from fast food and retail to manufacturing. The government mandated MW is nowhere to be seen, (except perhaps in some government job). The market is at work, not the government. Employees ALWAYS have the option of saying a wage is too low and going elsewhere for a better wage. Despite what you may think, slavery has been outlawed and no-one is forced to work for anyone else. That's a progressive bugaboo. If you want things to get better then you should get behind fixing the dollar so a lower wage actually is worth more.

20. samiwas thread starter Suspended

He, being the governor who I quoted as saying this will be good for Iowa, and he was proud to do it. Reducing the wages, being the people who absolutely will see their wages drop when their minimum wage is reversed. Is this really that hard?

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Nothing - absolutely nothing - guarantees that.

22. HEK Suspended

HEK

Answer me this question.

If we hold each forum member to such high word meaning scrutiny, why should we let the so-called president off with, he really meant this when he said that? Otherwise known as Spicering.

Inquiring minds want to know.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What about Solyndra?

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Who's wages is he reducing?

Do you honestly think McDonalds is going to hand out pay cuts to cashiers when they can go down the street to Targer, Panera Bread, Costco, etc and earn more than what the minimum wage pays today?

25. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

True, but it works out like that in almost all cases when the market is left alone and the government keeps to itself.