Iowa school assembly becomes anti-gay hate rant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by barkomatic, Mar 14, 2012.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It also become anti-choice and and pretty much anti-woman altogether. The students thought they were attending an anti-bullying presentation but instead gay and female students were themselves bullied. Students who walked out were ridiculed. This is at a PUBLIC school by the way.

An excerpt:

In addition to informing his young listeners that most gay men will die by age 42, Dean also spends a couple minutes analyzing the lyrics to a Lady Gaga song which, let's be real, we've all done with our gay friends. Later, he divided the students up by sex and told the girls that they "would have mud on their wedding dresses" if they were not virgins at the time of their marriage. The presentation also featured pictures of aborted fetuses, because of course it did

The Superintendent claims it was all a mistake but school officials should never have hired a Christian youth ministry to speak in a public school. A very short Google search would reveal the nature of this group and that its considered a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center -- so I have a hard time believing this was just an error.

GLBT youth at that school must feel real welcome now.

Links:

http://gawker.com/5893115/school-assembly-devolves-into-surprise-anti+gay-anti+choice-bash-fest

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/iowa-school-hires-hate-group-to-preach-against-abortion-and-gay-marriage/discrimination/2012/03/11/36169

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I saw this story. Sounds like somebody didn't properly vet out this band before bringing them in to speak out against bullying.

3. kolax macrumors G3

I wonder how things would be handled in the UK if something like that happened here. Would the preacher be arrested?

4. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

To say the least. Something is funny about this story. I find it very hard to believe that someone involved in the booking didn't know about this group.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is unbelievable. This school district is in a whole heap of trouble.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

just wow. They clearly did not even do any basic vetting of the group. Like it was pointed out a quick search would of found that this group was known for its anti-gay and anti-choice attacks.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Someone was either incredibly negligent or was trying to pull a fast one....

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's what I'm wondering about.

Wow. Incredible that kids were exposed to this kind of idiocy. I'm glad some of them had the decency to walk out.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Exactly.

You would think one would do a little research on a group that you're bringing into a school to speak to children.

Disgusting.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good lord. If you really want to have nightmares, go to that guy's website. :eek:

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well it could of been as small as 1-2 people who choose to book the group and it could easily be that they did not know.

What could of happened is they ask for suggestions and someone said that groups name and they ran with it. Still the failing to do basic vetting is sad and no excuse.

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"should we cut his mic?"
    "no. Let him speak"

"(I'm trying to get fired.)"

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It mentions that this presentation went on for three hours. Why didn't they cut it short given the obvious agenda of the presenters?

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Aside from the obvious issue, I'm concerned that the school thought was okay when they thought it was just a regular christian group (only issuing an apology for the hatred).

I thought schools weren't supposed to force religion onto their students.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Being a Christian group is not an issue. I have seen some good presentation by Christian groups that did not bring up religion at all after they introduced themselves and what they did.
    After that they got to the topic at had and there are good Christian groups that could do this presentation but the one used was not one of them.

Yeah, they should of stopped it. Mind you the staff at the event would of been pretty minimum and the school can use that time for staff training or letting teachers get other work done.

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Personally, I think the people who booked the group had an agenda and it was obvious that the super, principal and or teachers involved with the assembly were ok with christian hate being spewed for 3 hours in a public school.

I feel very sorry for the gay kids at that school as well as for all the kids who have been brainwashed by this group and by their parents into thinking that it's good to hate.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that could very well be.

From the Wiki entry about that group:

My emphasis.

I'd say that was a definite pattern of behavior, wouldn't you? And while I'd agree with you, barkomatic, that they should've vetted this group, it looks like the school is being honest when they say they got taken.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Taken perhaps by booking them.

Negligent in allowing it to go on for as long as it did.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Can't argue with you there.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Apparently this has been going on for a while...

This group has apparently been spreading their "message" at a good number of schools prior to this. A letter from the CEO of the "You can run..." group to President Obama "our assembly program was praised by almost every one of the 330+ schools we performed at".

Apparently, the schools were all that concerned about "the message" of the group. Quoting again from the letter, "the media (not the schools themselves) began to criticize my assembly program (although most of the time they weren't there to see it), despite the fact that I have numerous letters of recommendation from principals and students nationwide who have seen it.

I'd like to see a list of the "330+ schools", and learn more about the school officials that "recommended" the program... :rolleyes:

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Why are there paid speakers at assemblies?

The simplest solution to this is for schools to stop having this type of assembly to begin with. The students usually don't want to be there because usually assemblies are boring. About all it does is train the students to sit still so that in adult life they can sit still during "all hands" meetings. Most students would rather stay in Algebra class than go to one of these dull meetings. And, for some reason, we are wasting taxpayer dollars on paid speakers for such events. Ridiculous.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah yes. Throw the baby out with the bath water.

23. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Good find. Ok, it seems this is a tactic of this group to mislead administrators to get their hateful message out to young people. I guess I didn't expect that these extremist groups would be so slimy--but of course they are. They have to lie to get people to listen to them.

However, I also agree with eawmp1 that someone should have stepped up sooner and stopped the presentation. Perhaps the kids weren't the only ones who were intimidated.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I understand what jnpy (God, I wish you had a name that was easier to type!) is saying, but Lee has a point.

School assemblies are noted for boring the ass off kids at times, but one spring I was covering a pre-prom assembly at a high school which was -- you guessed it -- about drinking and driving. They brought in a young man who, as a teen, was the victim of another teen who was drunk off his ass on prom night and ran a red light. The drunk teen, who'd never been in serious trouble before, is now in jail. By all accounts, he wasn't a bad kid, but he made one horrible, really horrible mistake. The victim is largely paralyzed and now talks slowly, softly, and is somewhat hard to understand. He won't have a life like his peers; he'll probably be cared for his parents until the day they die. Really sad story all around.

You know, you always hear that this "scared straight" stuff doesn't work on kids, but let me tell you: that was the quietest, most attentive teen audience I've ever seen. Every eye forward, respectfully trying to not make a sound so that this poor soft-voiced, slow-speaking man could tell them about what happened to him. You could've heard a pin drop, seriously.

So assemblies do have their purpose.

As an aside: I wish people who say that kids today are spoiled and selfish could have been at that assembly. It might change their minds. Those kids were very, very cool, and I respected them a great deal.

And that's coming from a fifty-something old fogey. ;)

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Moving story. I concede your point.

(But I still have no use for paid motivational speakers on the circuit.)