Iowa State University or University of Houston?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, May 11, 2011.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I really cannot make up my mind. I need the answer in by tomorrow.

Iowa State University is $30,000 whereas University of Houston is $19,000... However I live in Minnesota so I would have to pay for airplane tickets and shipping to send my stuff to Houston. Both are for Industrial design.

However, it seems like the counselors at Iowa are a lot more responsive and will go out of their way more to help me... I don't know how the teachers are though. This is kind of a big deal I think, I had to kind of fight my way in Houston for them to switch my major from Architecture to Industrial Design, whereas in Iowa it literally took 4 seconds with a counselor.

Houston is warm. It's by the gulf. I've never been out of the midwest before. It's cheaper.

They both seem like great schools. I cannot make up my mind. Anyone shed some impact/help me make up my mind?

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Come to University of Iowa with me. Way better than Iowa State.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

why UofH. I am currently going to University of Houston Clear Lake right now and I like it.
    UH is a pretty heavy commuter school and caters pretty heavily to the Houston Area. As far as I know it is a pretty good school.

As for Houston yes you are close to the gulf and as such you will grow gill living here as we have very high humidity year around. Also have to factor in we will get a high hit index and during the summer and August I have seen it bust 125. During the cold that same humidity makes it feel colder.

I think it is a fine school but I have to ask why go to UofH if you are going out of state. Just go to your state school. Cost wise that would be cheaper.

Also before people start bashing on Texas it is Houston and it is a melting pot. If I remember correctly Houston elected an openly gay mayor so that should be remember that we in Houston are fair bit different than most of the state.

4. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I went to the University of Houston main campus for my entire college career so feel free to ask me anything about the school or city.

I loved UofH and as Rodius said it is a melting pot. There are so many different people and ideas--it's awesome. I really learned a lot there just being in the culture. I had relatively small class sizes in almost every area and the professors know you if you take the time to know them.

I also love Houston-there is so much to see and do and a lot of great museums and neighborhoods.

Anyways...any questions for an alumnus?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why ship and fly to move your stuff there? How about a road trip, you could make the drive in 2 days. See some of the country.

6. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Were the teachers/advisors helpful? Is there a good sense of college community there? Are the people there nice?

And I don't have a car yg17, otherwise I would definitely!

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How were you planning to get to Iowa?

I would hope that whoever was planning on driving you to Iowa (parents?) would be willing to drive you to Houston.

8. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

We have all super old vehicles... All 93s and 94s they aren't dependable at all. They broke down on the way back from Cleveland, I don't think they could last on the way to Texas. But yeah, I was going to get driven to Iowa State so maybe I could consider driving to Texas.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can tell you from some friends I had who went to UofH they did feel like it had a college community and they got pretty involved in things there. It is a big enough school to have one those. Just be head up that you will have a lot of people from the Houston area.

As for shipping stuff it really should not be to bad. If anything it could work out to be a good thing because it means you have less crap to deal with in your dorm room. I know my first year at TTU I had so much extra crap that I did not need or want and it just ate up room. The following year I left a lot of extra junk at home.

Now I can not say what is around the campus and walking distance from it as I never really have been on that campus much but I am going to assume it is like a standard college campus and plenty of stuff walking distance away and since you will be living in the dorms you will get some friend and plenty of them will have a car.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Houston?!? Good Lord, man, snap out of it! ;)

Seriously, like Rodimus says, the weather in Houston is absolutely garish. It's hot in the summer (not nearly as hot as Dallas), but the humidity is year round and it's downright suffocating.

Plus, Houston smells funny (from all the refineries) - locals can't smell it, but I can.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Any university can teach you more than you will ever be able to learn.

12. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Go to Houston, simply because you'll get out of the Midwest. How much you learn is mainly a matter of studiousness, the university doesn't matter that much.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

107 in Dallas is nicer and easier to deal with than 95 in Houston. I lived in Dallas for over a year and grew up and currently live in Houston. As for the smell I do not know what you are talking about because in the over 20 years I have lived here I never have smelled that stuff.

14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Houston. It's warm and a massive, fun city.

Good luck with ID – it's lots of work!

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Give me a dry 105 degrees Nevada heat to the muggy, sweating don't help, 95 degree Hot Town heat anyday.:p

And all this time, I've been blaming it on the dog.:D

If the Op is planning on coming to Houston, brush up on some Southern words.:D

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, like I said, I think folks there get used to it or something. I smell it every time I go.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I spent enough time living elsewhere and still never smelled when I came home to visit. Smell the sea air but not what you are talking about.

18. macmusician.exe macrumors newbie

macmusician.exe

For any design or engineering Iowa State is a well respected school by employers. They don't just hand you a degree there and employers know that. You will truly come out of their programs better prepared, at least if the decision came down to University of Iowa vs. Iowa State University as someone previously stated. When it comes to athletics, University of Iowa would be the one to pick.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Does it have to be only those two schools?

I would go to Iowa State. You're really not missing much in Texas.

20. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Shoot, I missed the OPs original post date, my bad. Sorry for the necro-resurrection!

Disclaimer - I'm not from Iowa, so there's no homer-ism in this post.

I do know many people who attended Ia State and to a person they're well-rounded, eager and appropriately aggressive about getting their jobs done, and then some. As a hiring manager, I'd have no worries about someone from Ia State as long as everything was in order. Many times, your alumni will set the tone years before you arrive - this is one of those cases.

This isn't to put down Houston as I've never run into any graduates from there.

I have heard similar complaints about Houston's... odor before. I believe a comedian has a skit about it, a little googling will probably uncover it. Ron White maybe?

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes, the decision was probably made long ago.

I wonder which he chose? I'm guessing Iowa.

22. macmusician.exe macrumors newbie

macmusician.exe

Sorry! I didn't pay attention to the date either.

I would like to know what school he decided on also.

23. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I chose Iowa State for the industrial design program, and I have to tell you.... It is INTENSE work. The design program here is run by really knowledgeable instructors and I have learned a lot so far.

I am also enjoying the socialness of the school. It seems like a small school even though there is 35,000 students.

I'm having the time of my life.

24. ender land macrumors 6502a

Iowa State ftw.

25. macmusician.exe macrumors newbie

macmusician.exe

It is a great school! And like I said they prep you well!