iP4 to 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Peter Franks, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Can someone give me a brief idiot proof guide of updating a new ip5 from last ip4? Is it all pretty seemless and how do you back up and restore easily?
    Does the 5 replicate the homepage of 4 or do my icons go elsewhere on a 5?

2. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

First you back up your 4 using iCloud or iTunes, then you restore the 5 from the respective backup, iTunes or iCloud. Your 5 should look just like your 4 then.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks, never used iCloud so will be iTunes.
    So the layout doesn't conflict with new iP5 then, it just copies the 4. OK, thanks. I wondered if it fitted in because of the extra row

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

When I set up my iP5 last September using a newly made backup of my iP4, I had to restore from that backup a couple of times in order for everything to finally be included on the new iP5. The second restoration brought the Music back. It was an easy process and went well, just requiring some time & patience. (I've done updates on 5 iPhones over the years using this method.)

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that. Never done it before. The iP4 was first one for me couple years ago so hoping it does all it should including login for emails copies over too