iP4 vs. iP5 Battery comparison

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robweg, Oct 25, 2012.

?

Do you have battery problems with you new iP5 or with iOS6 on your iP4/4S?

1. Yes, with my iP5!

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Yes, with iOS6 on my iP4/4S!

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. No, everything is fine.

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. robweg, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

robweg macrumors newbie

Hi,

since i got the iP5 i noticed that for the same tasks it needs much more battery than the iP4.
    ( i already got the iP5 replaced once because of a screen issue, so the following is not a singulary problem, i also did a factory reset and restore - twice!)

So i made a test:

Subjects: iP4 (ios5.1.1) and iP5 (ios 6) fully charged, exactly the same settings (no push, all mailaccounts on manual, just the calender account on 1 hourly autoload, no notifications at all)

Test1: Overnight, no usage at all! Wifi and 3g/LTE turned on:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

First of all, what the heck is the iP5 doing for 1 hour 12 minutes? It simply checks the same calendar as the iP4 sitting next to it and should do nothing else!
    But no wonder there is 6 % more battery usage.
    Then i thought, maybe it has problems with the new LTE connection (although i live right next to a cell tower and have always full bars).

So i put both on 3G and started...

Test 2: Overnight, no usage at all! Wifi off and both on 3G only:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Interestingly now they both had the same usage, but the IP5 still used 5% more battery. I dont get it. Either the usage stats are totally random or they have at least nothing to do with the battery. :-|

Either way, this is not good.

You might say 6% percent for 10 to 11 hours is not bad, but this is standby(!) we are talking about! And even then, the iP4 battery is 2,5 years old and is still much better?

rob

_

Attached Files:

• B1.jpg
      B1.jpg
      File size:
      87.4 KB
      Views:
    • B2.jpg
      B2.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
    • A1.jpg
      A1.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • A2.jpg
      A2.jpg
      File size:
      53.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Eeko macrumors regular

How do you know it's not due to both phone running different versions of iOS. You need to redo the whole experiment.

3. robweg thread starter macrumors newbie

Because i cant run the Iphone 5 with anything other than iO6, i honestly dont care what exactly the cause is.
    I just want to point out that there IS a problem. If thats established, Apple engineers can do the digging.

4. cynics macrumors G4

I have a Xoom. When I bought it it was 3G. Later they had an update for it to LTE by sending it back to Motorola.

Battery life took a hit regardless of whether I had LTE on or off or cellular data off or in airplane mode.

Just having the LTE chipset in there uses power regardless of its usage. So it might be something like that, more hardware even at idle uses more power then less hardware at idle. 5% does seem a bit much though at idle.

5. robweg thread starter macrumors newbie

as i have written above, for the second test i turned LTE off.

6. chrscap macrumors regular

I had 100% for 11 hours before it went to 99% and I have more turned on than you with 20 minutes of surfing and checking emails in the morning.

Attached Files:

7. msaftw macrumors member

Almost as good. but point got across.

Attached Files:

8. robweg thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very odd. Seems to me "Usage" is only remotly related to the battery charging state.

9. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Had better battery life on iOS 6 with my iPhone 4S and am enjoying excellent battery life on my iPhone 5.

10. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

alirhgt so my iphone 4 has had the best battery life period, 4s i notticed a huge difference, my 5 is not as good as my 4 was.. but its an improvement