Ip5 display = creamy yellow tint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anitasanger, Sep 21, 2012.

1. anitasanger macrumors newbie

Greetings. Loving my 32 white ip5. Aesthetically, the phone is flawless. But when I fired it up, I noticed that the whites were more of a butter-yellow tinge. Laying in bed with the lights out, the yellow much more prominent. I'm aware of possibly glue curing culprits and the like, but this sure looks like a peculiar color temperature programming to me. Anyone else with the butter yellow screen? Whites aren't white. Buttergate.

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

mine is the same way. much warmer colours than all my previous phones and my iPads.

Not as bad as the yellow tint issue of my ipad3, so I can live with it.

4. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

;)

Definitely not even anything worth talking to apple about. My eyes will adjust and my brain will forget in a few days. But side by side, my ip5 is significantly more buttery than my old ip4.

5. dbyway macrumors member

dbyway

I'm not seeing that with mine. I also had a slight hiccup with my screen though. When I was in the AppStore I saw distorted purple and black pixels go crazy for a few seconds; like what you see on TV shows when someone puts a magnet to a computer screen.

Pic very related.

Attached Files:

6. mr.thing macrumors member

From what I can see they changed display color temperature in iPhone to match new iPad. I compared mine with my old ip4 and it has cooler colors, which I prefer, but looks like nothing much u can do with it to change.

7. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

They are a little warm for my taste. In my opinion the early iPhone 4 phones have the best screens to date.

8. yellowfever5 macrumors newbie

Sent my iphone 5 back - no excuse for it, white should be white not cream. Colours are also oversaturated and garish. In general usage phone no faster, camera no better. Will stick with my small, easy to hold iPhone 4S. Think so much of this tech has plateaued

9. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm coming from an early iPhone 4, that's probably my problem! Oh we'll, first world problems, right. Buttergate is now my life.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Calibration issue

With a Jailbroken iPhone you can easily alter the temperature to your liking. I scratch my head why apple does not include this as a default option :confused:

11. yellowfever5 macrumors newbie

In my opinion my first iphone 4 had the best screen, even better than 4S. Blacks were jet black and whites were white. I'm not sure we should have followed android devices with s bigger screen either. I use my phone one handed laid in bed so often - iphone 5 involves constant readjustment

12. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm digging the screen size. I think they should have size options for people who like big/small. I agree about the self calibration being included in the OS. It would save apple a lot of money in the long run.

13. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I notice it too on my White 16gb, It's not really bad but I can notice and i'm not sure if i'm happy with it. I loved how the screen looked on my old iP4 so this soft yellowish hue bugs me a little.

14. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I possibly agree. My 4S screen tone is horrible. But I'm with you on the size. The iPhone 5 is no longer one handed and if you're moving to two handed use you might as well have a wider screen too. Not liking the odd tall look.

My iPhone 5 has a really nice screen thought. Very crisp and white.

15. anitasanger thread starter macrumors newbie

And your user name is just beautiful.

16. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

Exactly. I wonder if they all are the same, or if an exchange would have a chance of satisfying me.

17. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I'm going to see how the next few days plays out and if I find any other bugs or problems with it. If the yellow hue bugs me that much then i'll call it in. Might go away after a while.

18. tsa1 macrumors regular

is there a way to find out what brand of screen you have? Sharp, Japan, or LG?

19. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

I will do a grayscale measurement when I have time. But I have a feeling, if it is anything like the new iPad, it will be much closer to 6500k.

Just an FYI. And I hope some of you don't take offense, as I may word this incorrectly. But any opinions that a "cooler" color temp is better, is just that, an opinion. Correct/accurate is 6500k. Nothing else.

20. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

This is all true, but I think in general a cooler temp is preferred. At least in my experience.

21. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Mine's much more yellow than my iPhone 4, which is quite white/blue.

It is, however, the exact same yellow as the stock calibration on my 2010 iMac 27" (which was one of the "yellow" ones then, too), and the same warmth as my iPad 3, even though that screen is pink-tinged rather than yellow-tinged.

So I'm inclined to think it's intentional, and Apple's begun generally targeting this level of warmth over the last couple of years. I'm starting to think the person with the rare blue-white display might be the outlier.

22. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

You may know this, but that is in no way realistic. LCDs aren't affected by magnets and CRTs made rainbow patterns because you're pulling the shadow mask or aperture grille out of alignment from where the electrons are aiming and they light up the wrong phosphor. :)

Either way, this color temperature thing is highly subjective and it's also something that your brain gets used to. My laptop and LCDs on my desktop are all calibrated with a Spyder to 6500K. My 4S looked very blue compared to that and I used the jailbreak app "Color Profiles" to warm it up to match because the difference irritated me when they were next to each other.

On the 5, mine pretty well matches the 6500K displays, so it is quite a bit warmer. I prefer it this way but I can understand how it looks bad if you're used to looking at 9300K displays.

23. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Left one about 8200K or so, right one likely around 7000k. Still not perfect, but the right one is much better calibrated for graphics, movies, etc.